New York offers growth for an artist

To be an artist is a great struggle, but to be a great artist and have your name be known is still a greater struggle.

Junior art education major Amber LeFever traveled to Hunter College in New York City as a part of the National Student Exchange program offered here at BGSU. She did this to grow as an artist and have her name known.

‘At first, I wanted to go to California,’ LeFever said. ‘There are only certain colleges through the exchange program, and I knew New York would be a great opportunity to grow as an artist.’

While at Hunter College, LeFever took three studio classes in photography, paint and ceramics.

‘A Whole Other World,’ the current show in the Union art gallery, is compiled mostly of photographs and paintings with two ceramic pieces. She completed all of the pieces while a part of the program.

LeFever titled the show ‘A Whole Other World’ based on the diversity that she found in New York City.

The theme of the show is the portrayal of rural nature scenes meeting the urbanization of the city, which can be seen by viewing her photographs, which range from farmscapes to Central Park and then finally to the New York skyline.

‘I was attracted to Central Park because you can find that nature in Ohio,’ LeFever said. ‘You can be in the center of Central Park and look up and see the skyline no matter where you are standing. I saw how nature met urbanization, and you can’t find that in Ohio.’

LeFever was also affected by other artists such as her painting professor, Emily Mason, a New York abstract impressionist who pushed her to use emotion in her work. By expressing emotion through paint, LeFever was able to capture her inspirations, such as the diversity of the city.

‘You could walk down the street and hear five other languages at the same time besides English; the new cultures and sub-cultures really impacted me,’ said LeFever.

Although BGSU has a wonderful art department, the experience in New York was still something that needed to be done to grow as an artist, LeFever said.

Junior Rikki Wise also went on the trip with LeFever and witnessed her own personal growth as an artist.

‘She used this time to experiment with colors and different shapes in painting class,’ Wise said. ‘She took pictures of pretty much whatever she wanted in photography, and the ceramics class was actually more structured, but all of this helped her to better understand where she wants to go not only as an art teacher but as an artist.’

Not only are LeFevers’ peers taken aback by her growth as an artist, but professors such as Joseph D’Uva are, too.

‘Amber is a very dedicated student who is not afraid of a challenge,’ D’Uva said. ‘Her research and work ethic is one to be admired by her peers. She is around the studio regularly, developing new and interesting ideas and honing the techniques needed to be a successful artist.’

Wise also said he would recommend an experience such as New York City exchange for anyone in any major, but most definitely for an artist because of the opportunities found.

To see the work of LeFever, visit the Union gallery now until March 12. The gallery hours are Monday through Saturday 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. and Sunday 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.