Writers Guild’s strike is about needing long-deserved respect

By now, you’ve heard the story: The Writers Guild of America is on strike!

It’s a bitter dog fight, you may have read, between the WGA and the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers featuring all the drama, betrayal and heart pounding action of a blockbuster.

This isn’t fiction though, and to some the consequences of this strike are indeed very real.

Brian Stack, a writer on “Late Night with Conan O’Brien,” described the mood among the WGA leading up to the strike.

“During last minute negotiations, we were led to believe that if we took back our demand for slightly increased DVD royalties, the other side would finally discuss a fair increase on residuals for showing our written content on the Internet and/or other forms of new media, but they still offered us nothing,” Stack said.

“The WGA felt very betrayed by that, and went on strike as an absolute last resort since they’d been given no choice whatsoever.”

Although the WGA covers creative writers from all sorts of different mediums, including film and video games, the medium where the strike can be most immediately felt is on scripted television.

Odds are, we probably won’t notice the effect of the strike in the film industry, simply because films take longer to produce. Plus, studios have stocked up on scripts in preparation of a strike. Movies will be fine for awhile.

It will be television that bears the brunt of the impact of the strike.

Already you have seen the repercussions in late night programming. Letterman, Conan, “The Daily Show,” Colbert, “Saturday Night Live” – these shows are dependent on current events and without writers working around the clock, they cannot be produced.

“I just want to go back to work as soon as possible. I hate that this strike had to happen, and I hate that so many people are caught in the middle of it. I do understand, however, that the issues involved in this strike are very important and need to be resolved,” Stack added.

It would maybe be easy to misinterpret the importance of this strike as just Hollywood arguing over exorbitant amounts of money again. “Oh Hollywood,” we middle Americans say, “Just shut up and sing or write,” or whatever it is we say.

According to Stack, “we’re not asking for much at all. Just a fair share – no more, no less – and the AMPTP doesn’t want to give that to us.”

For people like us, who exist as the ever-important 18-34 demographic, who are not involved in the industry, who simply want entertainment for entertainment’s sake, it doesn’t necessarily matter if the writers ultimately receive what they’re asking for from the AMPTP.

It does matter, though, that we evaluate why the strike is important to us – as viewers and consumers. On a very basic level, it’s an issue of respect and the lack of which is generally appropriated to television writers.

But consider the times when you’ve laughed because of a TV show, or a show that has provoked discussion among you and your friends, days after it aired. Maybe you begin quoting your favorite lines in casual conversation.

Maybe you even arranged your entire schedule so you’d never have to miss an episode of “Gray’s Anatomy.”

It’s because of the writers that these shows have impacted you. It’s not because of Patrick Dempsey’s great hair that you tune in – if that were true, why not stare at a poster of him adoringly each week?

You watch because the story affects you – a story that was carefully crafted by talented, though hidden and neglected, people.

Likewise, you watch “Late Night” because it makes you laugh. That’s simple. But it isn’t Conan up there making up a monologue on the spot or improvising a sketch – it’s the work of the writers giving him funny things to say and do.

All those great moments that make you want to watch TV in the first place – they’re due to the writers, first and foremost.

It always has been.

“One thing I’ve been strongly reminded about recently is that all of the benefits and security I have as a WGA writer are the result of other writers fighting for them years ago,” said Stack.

“I just hope all the future WGA members out there realize that what’s happening now will affect them in the future, and we have to fight for what’s right for all current and future WGA members.”

That’s what you should take away from the strike as a viewer. The writers deserve your acknowledgment, your respect and your support.

It’s about giving credit where it’s due.