Making plans for Turkey Day

Sweet potatoes with cinnamon and sugar. Green bean casserole made from a secret family recipe. Turkey, turkey, turkey. Platefuls of tryptophan that mark the fourth Thursday of November. These are just of few of the edible treats University students and employees will travel near and far to chow on this Thanksgiving.

For some, Thursday will be the first time they get to see their families in a year. Grad students Naomi Garcia and Jocelyn Atkins missed last year’s Thanksgiving because they were studying abroad.

“Last year we were in France where they didn’t have the Thanksgiving we know and love,” Garcia said. “I’m looking forward to eating turkey with my family this year, and of course pumpkin pie.”

Garcia will be making the long journey home to Texas this year, while Atkins is traveling east to spend some time with her friends in the Big Apple.

“They talked me into carving the turkey this year,” Atkins said. “So, I guess I’ll be doing that.”

Others will be following the traditions they participate in every Thanksgiving. Junior Shelly Adam is excited to spend time with her family and boyfriend back in Eaton Rapids, Mich. Thanksgiving happens to be one of her favorite holidays.

“It’s mostly because Thanksgiving is also my birthday,” said Adam, who will be turning 21 this year. “I get a birthday cake at each dinner.”

And Seth Schroeder can’t wait to celebrate in his hometown of Wauseon with “lots of gluttony.” He particularly enjoys the way all the foods mix together on his plate to become one big, indistinguishable entr’eacute;e.

“That’s the way it works on the plate, you just keep loading it and loading it,” Schroeder said.

Schroeder family traditions include stealing food off each other’s plates and watching the Lion’s game after they eat.

And while the Thanksgiving theme seems to be preparing a meal for family and friends in a familiar, welcoming place, others decided to take a different approach this year.

CRU event organizer Nick Gillispie and his family planned a camping trip to Hocking Hills this Thanksgiving – breaking away from the traditional Thanksgiving feast they have at his grandma’s house in Norwood every year. There may not be a huge meal, but the Gillispies will be renting a cabin, hiking and cooking out.

“I don’t cook, so I’m not worried about how the food will turn out,” Gillispie said.

University students and employees were asked if they knew the origins of the holiday. While some discussed the Pilgrims giving thanks to the Indians who taught them ways to survive in the New World, others thought Thanksgiving was acknowledged at a much later date.

“I think Thanksgiving originates from Abe Lincoln,” Gillispie said. “Right after the Civil War, I believe. Or maybe that was Halloween.”

According to the early colonist’s journal entries, it is true the settlers had a three day meal in Plymouth with their governor and the Wampanoag people to give thanks to God back in 1621.

It is also true that during the Civil War, Abraham Lincoln made two Thanksgiving Proclamations, officially recognizing it as a Federal holiday.

The holiday has since grown to represent a designated time where friends and families can reflect on what they find grateful, whether that be each other, a good season for the Lions or the copious amount of food we are all about to gorge out on.