Convenient care on campus

With the changing temperatures making a lot of people sick, it’s good to know the University’s health center is open the most out of any other university in Ohio.

Compared to other universities in Ohio, BGSU’s Student Health Services open at the same time, but is open in the evening roughly three hours later.

No one plans on getting sick, or even likes it for that matter, but having a health center on campus within walking distance should make a person feel a little better about being under the weather.

Dr. Glenn Egelman, director and physician in chief for Student Health Services, considers the University’s health center to be a hidden gem on campus.

“We have one of the finest health care establishments with some of the best health care providers in northwest Ohio,” Egelman said. “If a person is sick, and they need health care, they should not hesitate getting the health care they need,” he said.

Sophomore Curtiss Spontelli agrees and said he would not think twice about going to the health center.

“The staff has always been friendly and professional,” Spontelli said. “I would not hesitate going back.”

If people think they are not eligible to use the center’s services, they should check again.

All currently registered students taking one or more credit hours are eligible for service, unless a student is a University employee taking courses paid for entirely by fee waivers. To show eligibility, a student identification card must be presented.

With or without insurance, the health center provides services to all University students.

The student health center also accepts all health insurance plans and will bill charges for the medical services directly to the health insurance company.

Another feature Student Health Services offers can be found online at its home page. It’s called “HealthyLife Students’ Self-Care Guide.”

With this guide, a person can choose from a list of health problems and see a list of questions that comes along with it.

When the person answers “yes” to a question, there is a link that tells him or her exactly what to do and who to see.

Egelman said he believes the self-care guide is an accurate way to get medical information 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

It had 55,000 hits last year, but he said he believes there is room for improvement.

Brandon Richmond, a sophomore, said he likes using the health center because its services and location are convenient.

“I was at the health center for a meningitis vaccine. They got me in and out quickly, which was really convenient for my busy schedule,” Richmond said.

The best way to get in the health center is to call and make an appointment. On its Web site, there is a link that shows appointment types and the number that should be called depending on the injury or illness. Many times, same-day appointments can be scheduled when needed.

For first-time users, Egelman encourages students to get to know their health care provider.

“Quality health care is better when you know the health care provider,” he said.

In the future, Student Health Services plans to have electronic health records, student check-in and a new health center, which has been talked about for several years now.

Egelman said he believes Student Health Services provides what home health care providers offer, but more.

“We want to keep students going to classes and keep them healthy,” Egelman said.