One less dining hall option for students

This year students living in Harshman Quadrangle no longer have the convenience of getting late night snacks in the dorm. When students returned to campus this year Destinations snack bar did not.

With discussion of petitions and the formation of Facebook groups, it is apparent that some students are disappointed to see it go.

Mandy Hindes, a junior, worked at Destinations last year. She and her friends are among those students who are sad to see it go.

“It was a really relaxed environment and it was a nice place to hang out,” Hindes said.

In past years Destinations offered smoothies, packaged food, nachos, hot dogs, pop and other snacks. But nothing that you couldn’t find elsewhere on campus. However, those who live on the east side of campus appreciated the convenience of having a snack bar inside the residence hall.

Gail Finan, director of dining services, and Daria Blachowski-Dreyer, general manager of nutritional initiatives, explain that Destinations was closed as a business decision.

“There was no single reason for it’s closing,” said Finan.

One reason, however, is that Harshman used to house and produce the concessions for athletic events. This year the athletic department relies on an outside company and not dining services to make concessions. Those employed by Destinations also worked with concessions and it wouldn’t be economical to pay an employee to work for Destinations alone.

Hindes explained that she and her fellow co-workers were warned last year that there was a possibility it would close. Employees recieved a letter over the summer as notification that Destinations would not re-open this semester.

Hindes said that Dining Services offered to transfer former Destinations employees to another dining hall.

“We go to Chily’s now [at night] but it’s not the same,” Hindes said. “We used to get to know the customers and talk with them.”

Despite the buzz on campus, not all students are having a hard time adjusting to the departure of Destinations. Senior Delora Brookins, a second-year Harshman resident says, “It was nice while it lasted but life goes on.”

She recommends that students just buy extra drinks at the Sundial and bring them back to their room.

Finan stressed that closing Destinations was strictly a business decision. Because it was only open five days a week in the evening hours it was the most reasonable cut to make.

“We made the cut based on a decision that would make the smallest impact on the fewest amount of people,” said Finan.

Finan and Blackowski-Dreyer explained that students who live in Harshman should get their late night snacks at Shadows, located in Kriescher. Shadows offers hamburgers, pizza, stuffed breadsticks, ice cream and has a much bigger menu than Destinations.

“For frozen and packaged foods students can go to Chilly’s which is just a hop, skip and a jump down the road,” says Blackowski-Dreyer.

Besides the convenience of not having to leave the residence hall for a midnight snack, students really aren’t missing much. All of the snacks that fans of Destinations liked can be found on campus somewhere, that is, if you’re willing to take an evening stroll.