Life beyond campus, what the city means to students

When students are accepted to Bowling Green State University they get a tour of campus, but not a tour of the city to see what it has to offer.

“I fell in love with the atmosphere of the town of Bowling Green from my first days here as a freshmen, but I feel more a part of the BGSU community than of the Bowling Green community,” said senior Jackie Maciupa.

Feeling like a member of the community is an important aspect of going to college at BGSU since students live here nearly nine months out of the year.

When looking at universities, it is safe to say that no one would want to live in a run down, boring town.

Everyone needs a break from their studies once in awhile, and sitting in an apartment or dorm room can get boring quite fast.

But what is there to do in Bowling Green?

Dining should never be a problem; there is everything imaginable, except for major chain restaurants. It is easy to find a good bite to eat just about anywhere in town if you look hard enough.

Whether it’s a sit-down restaurant such as SamB’s, The Junction, or El Zarape or fast food, such as Chipotle or Panera Bread, people should not have any trouble finding a variety of foods, no matter what they are hungry for.

“I like the originality of local dining as opposed to major chain restaurants,” said sophomore Curtiss Spontelli.

If you’re into live music, Howard’s is a great place to go to hear some of the local music scene, or catch an occasional well-known act.

As far as shopping is concerned, there are not a lot of options.

Woodland Mall has only a few stores; you may be able to find what you’re looking for, depending on what it is. Along with the Mall, other shopping venues in town are Wal-Mart and Meijer, to name a few.

If you’re looking for more stores than there is in town, you’re going to have to go for a little drive.

“I wish there was a decent mall to go to because the closest worthwhile shopping is 15-30 minutes away, depending on where you want to go,” said Spontelli.

A nice thing about Woodland Mall is there are five cinemas to enjoy the latest movie releases.

The best part about this movie theater is the prices; an adult matinee ticket is only $2 and an adult evening ticket is $4.

If you enjoy movies or art in general, there is also an art festival that comes to town.

Every year, since 1993, The Black Swamp Arts Festival is a tradition celebrated by many in the Bowling Green community. Organized by a group of downtown business owners and members of the community who had an interest in spotlighting the arts in Bowling Green, this festival has grown to be a very popular tradition in the Fall. This year it will be the second week in September.

“I think the most I’ve ever felt part of the Bowling Green community is during the Black Swamp Arts Festival when the town and the university truly intertwine,” said Maciupa.

The small town atmosphere is what brings many to the University.

Students can feel at home, but at the same time, have something to do when they have a break from studying.

“Bowling Green reminds me of back home in Bellefontaine; the small town atmosphere makes me feel like a member of the community. Even though the town is relatively small, there is a lot to do on the weekends,” said scientific and technical communication major, Corey Birt.