Content Any Way U Want It!

Content Any Way U Want It!

Content Any Way U Want It!

Join our team
Join the Falcon Media team for Spring semester - paid staff positions, internships, volunteer opportunities. Applications open now until October 13. Get the details!
September 21, 2023

• Poetry for Fall
    By Jay Grummel Poetry has a way of connecting us to the external and internal world. In poetry it is easier to feel a season and truly feel a piece due to this. Poetry has a subtle way of making the readers immersed into the world of the poem. With the air getting colder and […]
  • A Theatrical Rivalry with Love and Despair
    By Jay Grummel If We Were Villains has a way of making the horrifics acts of rivals and the blurry line of morals poetic. At first glance I didn’t think I’d enjoy this book as much as I did, especially with the amount of times it quoted Shakespeare. However, after diving into this dark academic […]

The role of this section is to be fair and have fun

First of all, I’d like to take the time to welcome all of the incoming freshmen to Bowling Green State University. It ain’t Harvard, but it’s still a great place to learn.

I hope you’re all ready for a fun school year.

At BG we’ve got a relatively prominent football program, a nationally renowned women’s basketball team, a men’s basketball team that’s trying to work its way back up to contender status and a hockey team who is trying to do the same. That’s not to mention our other 14 varsity sports, some of which contend for the MAC title every year.

As sports editor, it will be my job to provide a stellar sports page for all of you to read. In doing that, my reporters and I will be doing our best to give a fair assessment of how the school’s teams are performing.

That said, we are not cheerleaders. Our job is to watch the games and report what happens.

While we are students at BGSU and do support its athletic programs, we’re trying to prepare for the real world in our profession. In that real world, writers don’t sugar-coat what happens to the team they cover. Neither do photographers.

As assistant sports editor last year, I got negative feedback during football season. Most of it was because we portrayed some of the team’s performances in a negative light.

At the end of the day there are two ways to look at something.

Fans tend to take a subjective approach to things. They think their team is better than it is sometimes.

I’m not saying that’s a bad thing. I hail from Cleveland. That is the birthplace of unintelligent subjectivity.

Journalists are trained to take an objective approach to their writing.

When the Falcons lose to a bad team or just play badly, then that is what we’re supposed to write. It’s our job to do that. It’s only fair to the readers.

The coaches, players and athletic staff know this. And believe me, they’ll let us know if something doesn’t seem fair and we’ll always listen.

Enough about explaining that part of my job. That’s the ugly part.

We’re going to do our best this school year to give you interesting things to read. As a campus publication, we want to give you material you can’t get elsewhere.

It’s a “mid-major” from an athletic standpoint but there are still some great athletes who attend this school. They all come from different parts of the country and the world. We want to keep you interested in them.

We also want to keep you updated on the development of our facilities. Things have changed drastically at Doyt L. Perry Stadium this offseason. And there are always rumors about a new arena. So we will do our best to get after those stories as soon as they happen so our readers know first.

The BG News is your newspaper. We are here to serve the student body and your job, as our public, is to let us know when something is not right.

If you disagree, we want to know why.

These are your teams, this is your school: Go out and support them. We’ll do the rest.