Mavericks sweep season series with Falcons

The struggles of the BGSU hockey team continued over the weekend as the Falcons dropped a pair of CCHA games at Nebraska-Omaha by the scores of 2-1 and 7-0 respectively. With the two wins, the Mavericks (9-9-6, 6-7-2) sweep the four-game season series with the Falcons by a combined score of 20-3.

BG (5-19-1, 3-14-0) went into the final minute of Friday’s contest with the game tied at one goal apiece before CCHA player of the year Scott Parse beat goalie Jimmy Spratt for the game-winner with 55 seconds left in regulation.

The late UNO goal spoiled an otherwise solid night for the Falcons and Spratt who finished the game with 28 saves.

Jonathon Matsumoto’s power-play goal in the second period provided BG with its lone goal for the night and the weekend. Todd McIlrath and Brandon Svendsen provided assists on the score, which is Matsumoto’s ninth on the season.

“I thought we played an outstanding hockey game. Unfortunately they made the play with a minute left,” said coach Scott Paluch following Friday’s game. “The All-American gets the puck on his forehand and he beats us there. Jimmy Spratt was terrific in goal. We came in here and played a terrific road game. We just came up short.”

After the last-minute win on Friday, the Mavericks came out firing shots from all angles on Saturday. They frequently found the back of the net in a 7-0 victory.

The shutout marks the seventh time BG has been blanked on the season and puts their record at 2-15 in the last 17 games.

UNO held a 44-28 shot advantage for the game and went 2-of-8 on the power play. The Falcons were stopped on all six of their chances with the man-advantage, making them 1-of-14 for the weekend.

Spratt (4-13-0) had 29 stops in two periods of action while Eddie Neville saved eight of the 10 UNO shots he faced.

The road trip continues for the Falcons this weekend as they head to the Upper Peninsula for a pair of CCHA games against Northern Michigan.