Retention rates high despite recession

Retention rates have been on a slow decline at the University since 2006, but are still well above the national average, according to figures gathered by University Offices of Institutional Research. The University has an overall retention rate of 66 percent, according to ACT Inc.’s annual study on college freshmen retention rates. While retention rates have been decreasing at four-year colleges they have been on the increase at two-year colleges, according to the study. The poor economy seems to be the most obvious cause behind the decrease. ‘So you could probably make the educated statement, that families are experiencing tight economic trials and if you have children in college it’s going to be less expensive for them to send [their children] to the local two-year community college for their first two years,’ Jill Carr, dean of students, said.’ The financial factor seems to be increasingly integral to a freshman’s decision on whether to return to their current school. More and more students with higher income families and more financial aid are returning to University, said William Knight, assistant vice president for Planning and Accountability.’ However, finances are only a part of what motivates most students to return to college.’ ‘I think number one is academics,’ Carr said.’ ‘Do we have the programs, the majors, the classes that they want?’ In addition, Carr said co-curricular activities and the residence hall experience are also contributing factors. ‘I think, all of those things help guide a decision on whether or not they are going to stay,’ Carr said. ‘But the bottom line is how well they do in their first semester and what are the economic conditions their families face.’ This is the case for freshman Neil Kraft, whose academic performance this semester will determine whether he stays or goes to another college next year. But some might disagree that academics are the most important factor. ‘I think the assumption from a lot of people tends to be that students just drop out because they get bad grades,’ Knight said.’ ‘Well, a larger percentage of students who go away and don’t come back until the next year are on good standings or the Dean’s list than are on probation or suspension. So I don’t think by any means it’s only about their academic performance, although that’s certainly part of it.’ Despite decreasing retention rates, the University uses many programs and methods to secure returning freshmen. The University puts tremendous effort into learning communities, residential communities, President’s Leadership Academy, freshman seminar and similar programs, Knight said. On top of previously established programs, the University has been communicating with other universities in order to improve processes and has recently collaborated with Noel-Levitz, an enrollment-management consulting firm, Knight said. ‘The University has been working with the Noel-Levitz company since last fall and we have several teams working on several different aspects. One is improving advising, one is improving course availability,’ Knight, said.’ ‘I’m part of a group that’s working on the early alert program, where if you’re doing poorly in your classes first semester, freshmen and faculty have a way to go to a Web site to share some information about you with advisors and to hopefully keep people from getting lost fairly early on.’