Softball to play home opener vs. Purdue

After four non-conference tournaments on the road to start the season, the BG softball team has finally made its way back home. ‘It’s nice to sleep in our own beds and not be on the road,’ said head coach Shannon Salsburg. ‘We can’t wait.’ Today the Falcons (4-13) will play their first home game of the season as they welcome the Purdue Boilermakers for a doubleheader and the first game on the Meserve Softball Field. Game one is scheduled to start at 2 p.m. BG beat Purdue earlier this season, when Zada Lines’ single in extra innings drove in the go-ahead run giving the Falcons the 6-5 win. Having to play a team for a second time after beating them the first time is quite the confidence booster, but coach Salsburg knows Purdue will be looking for revenge. ‘They’re going to be fired up to play against us,’ Salsburg said. ‘If anything I think it puts a little target and we just have to show up and play our game.’ For the Falcons to beat Purdue again they will have to play error-free softball, which is something that has been missing thus far in the season. Knowing they have to step it up on the defensive side of the ball, Salsburg and her team saw the recently warm temperatures as the perfect opportunity to practice outside. ‘We took the entire weekend and really used the time that we had on the dirt to try and get better,’ Salsburg said. ‘We are practicing as hard as we possibly can.’ Aside from defense, Salsburg said she would like to see her team continue to not only stay aggressive at the plate, but from a pitcher’s standpoint, make quality pitches when they’re up in the count. The Falcons will continue their opening week of play at home this weekend when they host arch-rival Toledo to open Mid-American Conference play. Saturday’s game is scheduled at 2 p.m. with Sunday’s game set to get underway at 1 p.m.