Students urged to support their USG leaders

I love Bowling Green State University. My wife, a University graduate and former track athlete, and I are proud Falcon fans. I’m writing to appeal to all students to vote on March 27 and to vote no. As a former member of Undergraduate Student Government, I believe in USG and it is important that a university has a strong student government structure. USG leaders are elected by their peers and are charged with making decisions in the best interest of the student body. Like our leaders at the state and federal level, they are also charged with making decisions that could impact students long-term. They have every right and responsibility to vote on a student fee of $60 for the Stroh Center and campus parking improvements. I remember supporting a student fee for the Perry Field House even though I had one semester to utilize the facility. I supported it because it was the right thing to do for generations of Falcons to follow. Today that building is used by students on a daily basis.’ When I come back to visit the University and walk through the Bowen-Thompson Student Union, I’m proud of that building and I’m proud student leaders who followed me voted for a student fee to make that building happen so you and those coming after you have a fantastic facility to meet friends, eat, shop, hold student meetings, work and enjoy. Never underestimate the importance of paying it forward. What would campus look like today if those before us didn’t keep our success and future in mind? I ask you to vote no on March 27. Support your USG leaders that you elected. This is about more than a new concert venue, arena and better parking for students. It’s about students supporting students and a fundamental governing system that has been in place for almost 100 years. Just like in our state and federal government, people have a right to be heard and to lobby, but in the end, our elected officials make the call and cast the vote in our best interests. Our student government is no different. A vote of no means you support your right to participate in the University’s governance. –By Jason Jackson Jason is a 1994 University graduate in Communications who served as a USG Senator from 1990-1992 and USG President from 1992-1994.’ He currently works as a Miami Heat TV host and courtside reporter.