Falcon hockey set for road playoff series at Ohio State

The Falcons begin the first round of the Central Collegiate Hockey Association playoffs tonight at 7:05 when they head to Columbus for a meeting with No. 14 Ohio State. BG, the 12th seed in the playoffs, finished the regular season on a sour note getting swept away by Western Michigan. During the weekend, BG allowed 10 goals to one of the lowest scoring teams in the conference. On the other end of the ice, BG started strong each night but failed to continue the offensive pressure. ‘I think we stopped shooting the puck Saturday night,’ said BG coach Scott Paluch. ‘I think our overall game suffered from us not shooting pucks.’ Ohio State didn’t have a problem shooting the puck in their regular season finale as they scored five goals, however they did allow seven in their own net. ‘They’re as dangerous a team on the offensive attack,’ Paluch said. ‘Eleven goals against Miami last weekend, they’ve always been consistent in the offensive zone.’ The loss prevented Ohio State from picking up a bye in the first round of the playoffs and forced the series to be played at the Ohio State Ice Rink, rather than their normal home Value City Arena. Only seating 1,000 the OSU Ice Rink has only hosted three CCHA games this decade. Most Buckeye fans would like to forget those games in 2007, as they were upset in the first round of the playoffs by Northern Michigan. This year’s edition of the Buckeyes is less likely to be upset as the Falcons have only won two road games this season. Despite being the underdog, Paluch feels BG has put together a string of good games even though they haven’t been getting the wins. ‘I think we’ve gone 10 games were we’ve played some pretty consistent hockey, our entire focus now is taking though positives into Friday night’s game,’ Paluch said. Tomorrow, the best of three series will continue at 7:05 p.m. as well, and if necessary the teams will play a third time Sunday night.