Top Chef leaves judges with garlic breath

Video: BGSU’s Top Chef

Students gathered at the Union last night for ‘Battle Garlic,’ where four groups of students competed for the title of ‘BG’s Top Chef.’ Adrien Sharp, who was one of The Food Networks 11 finalists on ‘The Next Food Network Star,’ started off the event showing quick and easy ways to make meals using only the tools common to a college dorm room. Despite a string of technical difficulties, Sharp maintained his composure and kept the crowd laughing while throwing out useful cooking tips and food facts. Next up were the BG chefs, who set up their stations while Sharp gave them advice on how to best use their secret ingredients. With the help of the Universities Activities Organization, the contestants were given money to get supplies for their dish. Megan Svat, a junior marketing student and member of UAO, helped the teams prepare for the competition. ‘All the groups arrived here an hour early and we all had to go to [Commons Market Place],’ Svat said. ‘They got $100 to spend.’ By the time the cooking started, it was no secret to anyone in a 5-mile radius what the secret ingredient was – garlic. The winning dish, titled ‘Making love, Italian style,’ was created by a group of male students from Alpha Tau Omega, who claimed they had no idea what to make at first. But their improvisational dish won over the four judges’ taste buds, giving them a unanimous victory. Ben Wesley, a freshman Telecommunications major, stepped up as the spokesman for the group, vowing to defend their title. ‘We’ll be back next year,’ Wesley said. Sharp shared the enthusiasm and ensured the audience that he enjoyed the BG experience. ‘You have a great campus,’ Sharp said. ‘I was at Miami of Ohio and it’s okay, but this blows it out of the water.’