What they care about is a good, strong, solid’

Four University alumni gave what was essentially a pep talk to students with a philosophy major or minor in Shatzel Hall last Friday afternoon.’ The purpose of the panel discussion was to demonstrate the usefulness of a philosophy degree to students considering the degree.’ ‘In the philosophy department, we believe that our majors go on to do careers that are just as successful and fulfilling as anyone else in any other major in the University,’ assistant professor Jeff Moriarty said. ‘And so we want to persuade students that this is, in fact, the case.’ ‘ Most students know that a philosophy degree can lead to a teaching position in philosophy, but the panel was intentionally comprised of people who had managed to use the degree in other ways, Moriarty said. The panelists explained that it is very difficult to get a job in the real world based on a degree in philosophy.’ ‘It’s not a big selling point [to go] into an interview with a philosophy degree,’ said Jack Melito, who has a master’s degree in philosophy and is currently vice president for corporate affairs at MELE Inc. in Washington, D.C.’ ‘There’s always an awkward silence if you’re walking into an interview without specific job skills from a previous job and adjusted academic background. That silence is more profound and longer lasting if that academic experience is philosophy.” However, Melito said that philosophy has taught him to think critically and ethically about his work and world affairs.’ ‘I’m saying you have an obligation, if you care about things outside of yourself, to get your degree, immerse yourself in the real world and ram it down people’s throats so they don’t get away with screwing up the planet and the society any worse than they’ve already screwed it up,” Melito said.’ Others on the panel felt that philosophy helped expand their cognitive horizons as well.’ ‘People don’t really care if you’re a philosopher or not a philosopher,’ said Steve Sheinberg, a University alumnus and associate director of Legal Affairs at the Anti-Defamation League in New York City. ‘What they care about is if you’re a good,’ strong, solid thinker. It really is the perspective through which you see life.’ ‘It’s your own personal paradigm;’ its’ really everything you do,’ said Christine Senack, who also has a master’s degree in philosophy. ‘It’s how you approach every problem at work, whether that’s frying burgers at McDonald’s or whether something that’s more high-powered in business, or whether it’s teaching. I don’t see it as the biggest asset in the world, but I see it as an acknowledgment of, I think of who I am and it gives me a sense of the values I have to offer to the world.” This is the first year the philosophy department has put on this event, but they hope they can continue, depending on funding, Moriarty said.’ ‘We’d like it to be the case that we’re able to reach out to students who are possibly thinking about getting a degree in philosophy at the time they need to make their choice,’ Moriarty said.’ ‘It’s really an experimental kind of event.” ‘ ‘