Miller and Prochaska honored with more postseason recognition

The women’s basketball team has racked up several awards this season, but before the WNIT begins, two more honors have come the Falcons’ way. Yesterday, the Women’s Basketball Coaches Association announced their Regional Coaches of the Year and regional finalists for the State Farm Coaches’ All-America Team. BG’s Curt Miller and Lauren Prochaska represented the school in the awards. Miller was announced as the region four Coach of the Year and joined the likes of UCONN’s Geno Auriemma, Oklahoma’s Sherri Coale and Ohio State’s Jim Foster as regional winners. The Falcon coach was named Coach of the Year after guiding his team to a 28-4 record and a regular season Mid-American Conference championship. He additionally went 100 games over .500 and led the BG program to its 600th overall win during the season. Miller has won the regional award three of the last four years and is a finalist to win the WBCA National Coach of the Year honor which is announced on April 6 in St. Louis. For Prochaska, she was named to region four’s Regional All-America Team. Prochaska joins former Falcon Ali Mann (2007) and Kate Achter (2008) as regional finalists in Miller’s time as coach, something he is proud of. ‘It’s the third straight year, we’ve had a person be named Regional All-American so we’re really, really happy about that,’ Miller said. Prochaska was named to the team after leading the team with 17 points per game and also hauling in 6.2 rebounds per game while being named the MAC Player of the Year. During conference games, Prochaska led the league, scoring 19.6 points per game. Her defining stat, however, was her 93.6 free throw percentage which paced the country. She also set a school-record with 43 points in a game against Central Michigan, scored her 1,000th career point and scored 20 or more points 11 times. Kent State’s Anna Kowalska joined Prochaska on the region four finalists. The 52 regional finalists will be narrowed down to 40 on March 25, and those 40 will be in the final running for the final All-America team, which will be announced on April 4 in St. Louis. Meanwhile, Miller and Prochaska will look to improve their resumes in the WNIT this weekend when they will face either Syracuse or Canisius.