Back in action

With the wind whipping across the football team’s practice fields outside Doyt Perry Stadium, coach Dave Clawson said things are progressing. While the team is still mostly in the ‘drill stage’ of practice, there was some tackling during drills and a bit of scrimmaging. In one drill where the offense makes a screen pass close to the end zone on the sideline while the defense tries to prevent the touchdown, the defense made 25 stops compared to the offense’s nine touchdowns. And while practice is the main focus of the team right now, there were still some loose ends regarding the team Clawson tied up. Injury report While there hasn’t been any significant injuries during the first four spring practices, there are still some lingering ones hampering a few Falcons. Soon-to-be-senior offensive lineman Brady Minturn had a shoulder scope a few weeks ago and will be sitting out the spring season. Minturn and Shane Steffy will be holding down the line after Brandon Curtis and Jeff Fink graduated. Running back Jason Rice is still recovering from the knee injury he sustained during last season’s game against Buffalo. And while neither will partake in spring practice or the spring game, Clawson is hopeful both will be ready by the start of summer camp. ‘We see no reason they won’t be 100 percent for camp,’ Clawson said. Ransom report Running back Eric Ransom has been fighting hard following a pair of knee injuries dating back to September 2007 when the initial injury occurred against Michigan State. And while the rehab process has been long for Ransom, Clawson said the team is fighting to get him another year of eligibility, his sixth, from the NCAA. Ransom is running and able to change direction, but he is not yet into football playing shape, and Clawson and the medical staff don’t even know if Ransom will get back to football form. Above the rest While Clawson said there is a battle for the starting spot at all positions, as of now, soon-to-be senior Tyler Sheehan is the top quarterback. ‘Tyler has clearly shown that he’s ahead of the rest of them,’ Clawson said. And with good reason; he has more experience. Sheehan has started the past two seasons for the Falcons and also played some as a freshman. In total, Sheehan has passed for 6,006 yards and 43 touchdowns while rushing for 356 yards and 10 touchdowns. His main competition in camp is from last season’s backup Andrew Beam who runs the second-team offense in practice. Beam played in six games last season, making a 22-yard touchdown pass to Sheehan and rushing the ball 22 times for 108 yards. Systemic approach Clawson is keeping his new offensive system under wraps for the time being. ‘We have an idea, but we’ll be multiple,’ Clawson said. When he was hired, Clawson said he didn’t like to get married to a system and would utilize his best playmakers at any given time. With strong players returning at receiver and running back, chances are multiple might be the proper adjective for his offense. No hard feelings Linebacker Josh Scheidler left the team shortly after Clawson was hired because of an injury and to focus more on academics. Scheidler would have likely been in the running be a backup linebacker after the team lost two ‘- John Haneline and Erique Dozier ‘- to graduation. Last season, Scheidler redshirted due to that injury, and he played in five games during the 2007 season. I love this town Clawson said he’s enjoyed the transition into Bowling Green from Tennessee. ‘It’s been a great transition,’ Clawson said. ‘People have been really friendly.’