Guy takes 10th at Regionals

Breanne Guy admitted to being somewhat nervous before the NCAA Central Region championships began. Standing around Oregon State’s gymnastics team – one of the best in the country – as she waited to begin the first rotation on the bars, Guy knew she would be following some very tough competition. But like she has done all season, she went out on and competed to the best of her ability. Guy posted a 38.825 in the all-around last Saturday in Columbus and finished 10th out of 18, just three-tenths shy of qualifying for the NCAA National Championships. After competing in the Regionals last year and finishing 16th in the all-around, Guy really improved as she posted higher scores in each event. The statement at the beginning of the year by her coaches of her being one of the best in the Mid-American Conference held true as she posted the second best finish of any gymnast representing the MAC. ‘She did a great job,’ coach Kerrie Beach said. ‘To go to the NCAA Regionals is a very high- pressured situation. She really did prove she is one of the best in the MAC.’ Guy landed a 9.825 on the vault for an 18th place finish, three places higher than last year. In the event, she was 0.25 points shy of Eastern Michigan’s Erin Grigg for the best score of any MAC gymnast. On the floor, Guy really improved from last year’s Regionals. After finishing in 35th place last year, she scored a 9.800 and tied for a 17th place finish. After finishing in 41st place on the balance beam in 2008, she posted a 9.625 which gave her a 30th place finish. On the uneven bars, she scored a 9.575 which earned her a 34th place finish. After Guy’s successful season, Beach hopes the team continues to improve in the off season and get the gymnastics program to the next level, not just one athlete. ‘It’s so important to have [Guy] as a part of this program. She has been dependable on all four events, and she really wants the team to succeed,’ Beach said. ‘While she has consistently shined in competition, she is just as much about the team as everyone else.’