Baseball beats up on Central Michigan

For the second straight weekend, BG didn’t play baseball Sunday. However, instead of missing out completely, they got all three games in thanks to a double-header Saturday. After beating Central Michigan 14-10 Friday, the Falcons split the double-header (4-5, 11-4) to earn their first road series victory over CMU since 1979. ‘That’s nice. It’s always a difficult place to play,’ said BG coach Danny Schmitz. ‘They’ve got outstanding baseball tradition up there.’ Friday: BG 14, CMU 10 On Friday it seemed BG would walk away with a blowout victory as they lead 14-0 after the top of the eighth. CMU was able to touch BG reliever Dusty Hawk for seven runs on six hits in the bottom of the eighth, and then added three more in the bottom of the ninth before BG finally closed out the contest. Before the bullpen’s debacle, BG starter Brennan Smith had one of his best outings of the season, allowing four hits and striking out six in seven innings of work. ‘Brennan was outstanding. He was in total command, all three pitches over,’ Schmitz said. ‘Then we handed the ball over the bullpen, and they didn’t perform very well and neither did our defense.’ At the plate BG enjoyed a banner day where every field player recorded at least a hit or an RBI. Saturday game No. 1: CMU 5, BG 4 In the first game Saturday, BG once again got a stellar performance from their starting pitcher as Matt Malewitz allowed one run through eight innings of work. But in the bottom of the ninth the bullpen struggled again leading to 5-4 CMU win. ‘Once again, the bullpen didn’t get it done,’ Schmitz said. ‘We had a 4-1 lead going to the bottom of the ninth, and we only got one out. It was probably one of my most frustrating losses in my 19 years here at Bowling Green.’ Brian Hangbers allowed four runs on four hits in the bottom of the ninth, and Charles Wooten allowed the winning run to score after an RBI single with the bases loaded. At the plate, BG had a game high 10 hits but could only generate four runs in the contest. Ryan Shay led the Falcons going 3-for-5 and hitting his fourth home run of the season. Saturday game No. 2: BG 11, CMU 4 In the series finale, BG pulled out the win thanks to a strong bullpen effort from Kacy Dwornik. Wooten started for the Falcons, allowing three hits in the first two innings, but was pulled because of wear and tear over the weekend. Dwornik pitched the final seven innings, allowing two earned runs to pick up the first win of his collegiate career. ‘We handed him the ball with a 7-0 lead,’ Schmitz said. ‘He gave up runs in the third and fourth inning. Then after that, he got into a groove, and he was lights out the rest of the way.’ Offensively, BG got all the runs they would need in the second inning as they picked up six on eight hits. Five different players drove in runs during the inning. The Falcons finished the game with 20 hits, a season high. The win was even more important to Schmitz after losing the first game of the double-header in the bottom of the ninth. ‘I was very proud of our guys,’ Schmitz said. ‘They showed a lot of grit and heart to come out and win that second game.’ The weekend improved BG to 13-13 (4-4 MAC) on the season and dropped CMU to 13-17 (4-5 MAC). BG will play another Michigan team this week as they have a home-and-home with Eastern Michigan this week. The teams will play at Stellar Field tomorrow at 3 p.m. and in Ypsilanti Wednesday at 6 p.m.