Falcon golf takes third at home invitational despite subpar weather

The Falcon women’s golf team finally found their stride this week by finishing a respectable third at the Falcon Invitational. The team’s positive form could not have come at a better time as the Falcons will be competing in the Mid-American Conference Championship in a week. Playing in cold, rainy conditions, the Falcons carded a two round team score of 651, while Toledo captured the title scoring a 639. Ohio came in second with a 646, followed by Youngstown State, Oakland and Detroit. The event, which was held at Stoney Ridge in Bowling Green, was originally scheduled for three rounds, but due to rain and a poor playing surface the second round was canceled. ‘The conditions were pretty poor. We have not had the best luck with weather so far, but that’s spring golf for you,’ coach Stephanie Young said. For all of the Falcons’ misfortunes this season things seem to be looking up. ‘Up to this point, we have not gotten it done,’ Young said. ‘But it was great to get home and play at a familiar course.’ When asked if the positive results could simply be attributed to the ‘home course’ advantage, Young took a more optimistic approach. ‘I think that we played well. Regardless of if it was our home course, the team performed well,’ Young said. As for the teams overall performance, Young was pleased. ‘Everyone played well. We played strong. It was a turning point for the team, and we would like to build on that,’ Young said. Young was also pleased with her team’s play on the course. ‘We persevered in poor weather and caught fire as a team, especially on the second day.’ Young said. ‘We made some big birdies and important par saves.’ After a solid performance on the first day, the Falcons made a push toward the front of the pack on day two, scoring a tournament low 322 on the final 18 holes. Leading the pack for the Falcons was junior Megan Gormley (81-77-158), who scored a tournament low 77 on the second day of play and finished only one stroke off the overall individual lead. ‘I know the course really well,’ Gormley said. ‘And after a tough first nine holes, I started to play more relaxed.’ But she was more satisfied with the team’s overall performance. ‘As a team, we are headed in the right direction,’ Gormley said. ‘We shot as low as we have as a team all spring, and we are picking up some real momentum for the MAC Championship.’ Finishing just behind Gormley was sophomore Megan Bader, who carded an 81-81-162, good enough for seventh place. ‘I thought I played well,’ Bader said. ‘Usually when I am playing well the putter isn’t working, but this week I put it all together.’ She also had high praise for the overall team. ‘We are gradually getting better as a team; we are peaking at the right time and building a lot of momentum,’ she said. The Falcons placed three golfers in the top 11 as Lauren Glew carded a 165, while her sister Marissa Glew finished 18th firing an 83-82-165. Rounding out the Falcon scoring were Paula DiFrancesco (95-82-177, T-30th) and Hannah Lambert (93-97-190, 35th). Up next for the Falcons is the Cleveland State Invitational April 20, followed by the season ending MAC Championship April 24-26.