Falcons celebrating end of Wiemer’s career

Over the past four years, BG softball fans have had the pleasure of watching Hayley Wiemer accomplish incredible feats with a softball. With six games remaining in the regular season, a double-header tomorrow with Wright State marks the final home games of Wiemer’s illustrious career. ‘It has gone so fast,’ Wiemer said. ‘I can’t even begin to explain how fast it has gone by.’ Though the season hasn’t gone quite the way the Falcons have hoped, the team has had plenty to cheer about with the milestones Wiemer has achieved over the course of the season. Already holding the single-season home run record in school history with 11 (2007-08), Wiemer broke the all-time home run record with the 27th homer of her career March 28 in the Falcons’ sweep over Toledo. Since then, Wiemer has gone on to hit four more home runs, with her most recent coming Sunday on Senior Day against Kent State. Not only did Wiemer make noise at the plate this past weekend, but it was what she did in the pitcher’s circle that really spoke volumes about the type of player she is. In the Falcons’ split with Mid-American Conference East Division leader Kent State, Wiemer pitched both games, combining to throw 184 pitches with 13 strikeouts and just one walk. ‘She threw fantastic,’ Salsburg said. ‘She wants to do whatever she can when she puts that jersey on, and she’s willing to do whatever is asked. She is heart.’ Sunday’s start in the circle against the Flashes was Wiemer’s 30th of the season and 95th of her career with the Falcons. With four MAC games left, the senior co-captain knows the team has to play solid ball from here on out if they want to remain in the fight for the last few spots in the MAC Tournament. ‘We’re scraping to get into the MAC Tournament,’ Wiemer said. ‘We want that more than anything, and I think we’ve shown signs of the team that we can be.’ ‘ A Sunday extra-inning thriller in the series finale with a team like KSU certainly showed signs of fight in the young Falcon team, proving that they’re not going to give up. In fact, a long fought battle with KSU may have been beneficial to BG as they continue to push towards a MAC Tournament bid. ‘As we fight to get to the MAC tournament, that’s the type of games we’re going to play when we get there,’ Salsburg said. For Wiemer, a trip to the MAC Tournament would be a great way to end what has already been a stellar career at BG. ‘It’s been an amazing experience,’ Wiemer said. ‘I met some awesome people at Bowling Green that I know I’ll stay in touch with. It’s just been incredible.’