Grumpy Dave’s Pub to host benefit concert

Heather Linder and Heather Linder

Giving to charity has never sounded so good as local musicians gather at Grumpy Dave’s Pub this Saturday at 9 p.m. for a benefit concert.’ The National Society of Leadership and Success (NSLS) is sponsoring the event, and 80 percent of the night’s proceeds will be donated to the Children’s Miracle Network, while the remaining 20 percent will enable the Society to continue at the University. Hemline Theory, the featured band at the event, is comprised of members from Northwest Ohio, including Adam Renchen, a writing instructor at the University and the faculty advisor for the NSLS. Renchen also played a prominent role in planning the event. Renchen performs alongside members Brandon Boltz, Liz Boltz, Casey Malone and Sarah Tebbe in the group that calls itself call a mix of many genres of music. Tebbe, Hemline’s lead singer and a Ph.D. student in American Culture Studies at the University, bases much of the band’s music around her poetry and lyrics. ‘Some [of] our stuff is odd and burlesque sounding, some beautiful, some folky or loungey,’ Renchen said. ‘We make each song sound like what it should feel like with the lyrics.’ Though Hemline is currently the main project for members, none of the musicians are strangers to performing. Liz Boltz, who plays the rhythm guitar as well as a myriad of percussion instruments, is a former University theater major and long-time musician. ‘I’ve been in a couple of bands before this and played rhythm guitar in both,’ Liz said. ‘I didn’t even learn the guitar until I was 19 and in college. My boyfriend at the time, and now husband, taught me how to play, and we’ve been playing together ever since.’ Along with the husband and wife duo, Hemline Theory boasts a group of musicians that enjoy spending time together as well as performing. The cohesive group of musicians has been playing their unique music in the Toledo area for the past six months, but Saturday will be their first benefit concert. The group is embracing the chance to showcase their talent and help a worthy cause. ‘This is the first time I have been apart of something on this level,’ pianist Malone said, ‘and it’s, of course, thrilling. I’d be playing anyway. The fact I can help people at the same time is fantastic.’ Local musician Sarah Cohen will open the show promptly at 9 p.m., at the bar located above Easy Street Caf’eacute; on North Main. Hemline Theory will take the stage at 9:30 p.m. Admission to the concert is $5, and adults 18 and over are welcome to attend.