What we’re made of

With a new scoring system in place for tomorrow’s Spring Game, those unfamiliar with it may be shocked with whatever the final score turns out to be. Over the past several years, for the Spring Game, the Falcon coaches have done a mock draft for the Orange and Brown teams to play a typical game with an adjusted clock. However, because of lack of depth at certain positions, coach Dave Clawson doesn’t feel he has enough players to draft a pair of teams and has established a new scoring system to pit his offense versus his defense. ‘We are not two-deep at every position,’ Clawson said. ‘There are some positions where if one guy would get hurt, we couldn’t do it. You don’t want the whole scrimmage to be chanced on that.’ For the scoring system he will be using, the offense earns traditional points on touchdowns, point after tries and field goals but also earn a point for every first down. On defense, the team will earn six points for a touchdown, six points for a turnover, three points for a three-and-out, two points for a forced punt and an additional two points for a fourth down stop. This system was also in place for the two intersquad scrimmages, the last of which ended with the offense winning 53-41 in less time that will be used tomorrow. Last season’s Spring Game ended with the Brown team winning 7-3. There will be four quarters in the Spring Game with the first half using traditional clock and the second half using a constantly running clock. But while the changes in scoring are at the forefront of discussion among fans, Clawson said he is more focused on seeing which players will step up in real-game scenarios during the game. ‘I want to see guys perform under game conditions,’ Clawson said. ‘Everything we’ve done is practice and scrimmages [that] are somewhat controlled. Now they get to do it in front of some fans in an uncontrolled environment, and we want to see who the game day guys are.’ However, Clawson said knowing where his team stands overall may be the most important thing to come out of the game. ‘We have to come out of this Spring Game with a good assessment of where we’re at,’ Clawson said. The game will kick off at 2:30 p.m. tomorrow at Doyt Perry Stadium and admission is free. Prior to the game, three fans will be selected to fill the roles of honorary coin toss kid, honorary tee kid and third quarter guest sideline coach.