Student inspires book drive for his Kenyan home

Growing up in the small village of Machaku, in Western Kenya, University doctoral student Daniel Mwendah M’Mailutha did not have immediate access to books.’ ‘The Kenya National Library Service exists and is funded, but its libraries are located only at district headquarters across the country or in major towns,’ M’Mailutha said. ‘As a result, people who live in the countryside, which is most, lack access to libraries.’ When M’Mailutha mentioned the dream he’s had of setting up a library in his home village to his colleagues Kimberly Angell and Patrick Vrooman, at Partnerships for Community Action, a department that helps establish a link between the campus and the community, they suggested holding a book drive. M’Mailutha mentioned the project in his non-profit class, and his colleagues and professor encouraged him to follow through with it, Angell, Grant Coordinator for the PCA, said. ‘At first I did not think it would work,’ M’Mailutha said. ‘But then I traveled home to Kenya this past December, and I talked to people in the community where I grew up about it, and surprisingly they were very welcoming to the idea because they saw that a library was actually needed.’ ‘They’ve started putting up a facility where the library will be, they are establishing a kind of management program whereby people from the community will be managing the library on routine basis,’ he said.’ After proposing the idea of the library to community leaders, M’Mailutha then mentioned he could help by holding a book-drive back in the United States. The PCA displayed boxes in various departments across campus last Monday and will continue accepting books until May 1, Angell said.’ In addition to campus donations, the PCA is also expecting donations from students at the Toledo Zoo as part of Global Youth Service Day, M’Mailutha said.’ Initially, the PCA was expecting to receive around 300 books, mostly textbooks and relevant fiction. From the looks of the generous amount they have already received, the drive will surpass expectations, M’Mailutha said. Now, the problem is in figuring out how to send the overwhelming amount of books overseas, since it costs around 50 cents to ship each book, M’Mailutha said.’ The PCA is currently working on raising shipping funds with donations from local businesses, he said. ‘ The department also wants to show its appreciation to students and faculty who donated books by setting up a banner outside the Jerome Library, that would display the number of books received on the last day of the drive, Angell said.