A diamond in the rough: The Portage Quarry

Located only miles from downtown Bowling Green is a secluded oasis allowing residents and students alike to escape from their everyday lives.

The Portage Quarry Recreation Center is much more than a place to swim and a guaranteed good time.

Located in Portage, one mile south of Wal-Mart on South Dixie Highway, most University students know it simply as the ‘BG Quarry.’

‘If you go to BG, you know about the quarry,’ said senior Erica Schwartz.

The quarry offers students and community members a place to swim, camp and have a good time.

The swimming area is substantial, including three slides and floating docks to lounge on, and is surrounded by 300 linear feet of sandy beach.

‘[The water] almost looks like it’s in the Caribbean. ‘hellip; We do everything we can to keep the water clean,’ said Jeff Rice, owner of the Portage Quarry Recreation Center.

Additionally, patrons can use the three sand volleyball pits, shelter house and 150 picnic tables.

‘We have more stuff in our quarry than any other quarry in the area,’ Rice said.

Scuba diving is another activity offered at the quarry. Lessons are available and divers can experience a navigation course, including a silo, school bus, and jet all submerged under water in the quarry.

Patrons can also utilize the ground’s campsites. The campsites are primitive, grassy sites complete with picnic table and fire pit. Electrical hookups are available. Typically four people are allowed per site.

The quarry opened this Memorial Day Weekend and will remain open until Sept. 15. After that date, the quarry is open on weekends until December.

Many University students and residents alike come to the quarry to kick back and relax.

‘I work here for fun,’ said Paul Gillespie, a BG alumnus and returning lifeguard.

Some students come to the quarry for the sun, usually on the weekends.

‘On Friday and Saturdays there’s a ton [of college kids],’ Gillespie said. ‘Everyone comes out and drinks here all day then goes to the bars.’

The quarry also hosts three major events throughout the summer.

Rice started and hosts the Legends of Diving event every year, which brings together some of the original legends of diving with today’s scuba diving enthusiasts.

Additionally, the quarry holds Country Blowout the weekend of July 4th, featuring three country bands that play all afternoon. The second big event is dubbed by Rice ‘Pirates and Parrotheads Weekend.’ Parrots of the Caribbean, a well-known band out of Dayton puts on a Las Vegas-style show, complete with costume changes and featuring songs by Jimmy Buffet. Admission for all events is $12 for the day.

‘For $12 you can get a hell of a show,’ Rice said.

The Portage Quarry proves to offer a little something for everyone. Whether patrons come to dive swim or camp, everyone is sure to have fun.

‘They come here to relax. They come here to let it all hang out,’ Rice said. ‘The (college) kids come and have a good time.’

Quarry Breakdown

Open:’ Mon.-Thurs. 10 a.m. – 8 p.m. Fri. 10 a.m. – 11 p.m. Sat. 8 a.m. – 11 p.m. Sun 7:30 a.m. – 8 p.m.

Admissions: $5 for Adults $4 for Children under 12

Passes: Individual Season Passes $100 Family Season Passes $225 Camping is an additional $5 per day for Adults ‘amp; $4 for Children