A week in BG sports

Track coach inducted into hall of fame University men’s and women’s cross-country and track coach Cami Wells was inducted into the North Dakota State Track and Field Hall of Fame last weekend.

Wells was a standout runner at Dickinson High School in Dickinson, N.D., where she won the state title in the individual 3000-meter race in 1988 and 1990. She also lead Dickinson to the state title in 1990.

After high school, Wells ran for Drake University where she was a three-time Missouri Valley Conference champion including being victorious twice in the 3000-meter race. She was also a member of the conference record-setting 4×800 relay team.

After setting records throughout her collegiate career, Wells has been coaching the University’s team since 1999. Under her tenure, Wells has coached13 All-Mid-American Conference runners.’

Two top high school players sign with Falcon basketball Men’s basketball coach Louis Orr announced the signing of two more recruits for the upcoming season.

Out of La Salle High School in Cincinnati, Jordon Crawford earned a second team all-state guard position, was selected as the Greater Catholic League South Player of the Year and was chosen as Defensive Player of the Year last season.

Crawford averaged 17.4 points, 4.2 assists and 3.5 steals a game in his senior year.

As a forward, Finney High School’s [Detroit] DaVon Haynes will help give the Falcons’ more size in the frontcourt with his 6’7′ stature.

The senior forward was an all-conference player averaging 15 points, 13.5 rebounds and 7.5 blocks per game last year.

The Falcons finished 19-14 last season, won the regular season Mid-American Conference title and for the first time in University history, earned a number one seed in the MAC Tournament in March 2009.

Former soccer star donates to program Former Falcon men’s soccer standout Nan Chul Shin has donated more than $100,000 to the University’s soccer program.

The money, which will be given out over the next four years, will be supporting a grant-in-aid for student-athletes and improving resources for the program.

Shin lettered each year as a Falcon from 1983-1986. He led the team in scoring his senior year while being named Mid-American Conference Player of the Year as well as an All-Ohio First-Team selection.

Shin’s gift will start in 2009 for first year head coach Eric Nichols, who will return 21 players from last year.