Student fees make up 62 percent of BGSU’s revenue

‘ The recent USG approval for the Stroh Center has brought up a lot of discussion between students on whether they should be footing the bill for the mortgage of the facility, but students may not know what other fees they are paying in their tuition bill. According to the University’s 2008-09 budget, the primary source of the University’s revenue is through student fees, which currently makes up 62 percent of University’s revenue at $171,298, 328. State appropriations make up 32 percent at $88,309,467 and other revenues, primarily consisting of investments, make up 6 percent, or $16,102,774. The University’s total revenue is $275,710,569. ‘ There are two primary fees paid by all students, instructional and general fees. Also included in tuition is a $7 waivable Student Legal Services fee, additional class fees and room and board fees for students living on campus. The general fee for students is currently $633 per semester. This fee can be broken down into six categories of fees. ‘ Upon the completion of the Stroh Center students may be paying a $60 fee as part of their general fees going towards paying the mortgage for the facility and improved campus parking. ‘ Students are currently paying off the mortgages for the Union, which opened in 2002 and Perry Field House, which opened in 1993. ‘ Despite the current tuition freeze at the University the fee could go into effect because there is some flexibility with the freeze that allows an increase in tuition lower than 3 percent, said Geof Tracy, director of budgeting. ‘ The instructional fee is $3,889. ‘ The Office of Budgeting and Resource Planning no longer breaks down what percentage of student’s instructional fee money goes to particular categories and instead combines the student fees with the other forms of revenue and allocates money that way, Tracy said. ‘ This fee primarily covers faculty and administrative staff salaries, operating costs, student employment and graduate students within the various departments. ‘ This year the same percentage of student fees was allocated to Student Affairs as in the previous year, said Kathleen Close LeRoy, director of Student Affairs budgets and administration. ‘ She said once a certain percent is allocated toward a certain category within Student Affairs that percent is generally allocated in the same way the following year, although it varies based on economic factors. ‘ The state budget is created on a biennial basis, but the University’s budget is created annually, said Tracy. ‘ Despite the tougher economic times Ohio is experiencing compared to when the budget for the current academic year was created in June 2008, Tracy said he doesn’t see any substantial changes in state funding for the University. ‘ ‘The governor is still trying to hold us harmless and keep our budget intact,’ Tracy said. What are these fees used for? Click for a larger version