Economic plan shows Obama’s true colors

It is time for We the Sheeple to wake up. Just 10 days after his inauguration (which, by the way, was the most expensive inauguration in history) President Obama’s honeymoon is unofficially over.

Forget the inspiration you felt as you raised your fist shouting the ambiguous, yet incredibly-fun-to-shout-at-the-top-of-your-lungs motto, “Yes we can! Yes we can!” Forget the tingling feeling that ran up your legs as you heard the great orator speak and the mainstream media coo in response like ’90s-era teen girls at an ‘NSYNC concert. Forget the “In your face!” satisfaction you received when former President Bush was booed out of office.

I am not mocking you, dear reader, I am only saying it is time to get real and face facts. Our country is in grave financial trouble. It’s time for America to slap itself out of drooling, Obama-groupie mode and start thinking about what is good for our nation. We need to critically look at who President Obama really is and see if “change” has really come to Washington.

On Jan. 8, 2009, Obama told the nation in order to save the economy, we need to spend a trillion dollars. Apparently, the $700 billion Bush spent in October wasn’t enough. President Obama claimed this spending package would create new jobs, while not explaining exactly how this would work. “Only government can break the vicious cycles that are crippling our economy,” he said. Then, just 21 days later, he said the exact opposite before a group of businessmen, stating bigger government is not the answer, and our hope lies in the private sector and free market.

When we have a president who sounds like FDR in front of one group and Reagan in front of another, what are we to believe? To wade past all the smoke and mirrors and find out who Obama really is, let us look at Obama’s baby – the Economic Stimulus Plan.

On Wednesday, the House of Representatives voted on the package Obama says is essential to saving our economy. The $900 billion plan is the biggest spending bill in Congressional history. Spread evenly, that’s a $10,520 bill slapped on every family in America. Change indeed – isn’t it funny how liberals were up in arms over Bush’s budget deficit, yet are now praising President Obama, who wants to jump a trillion dollars more into the hole? With a price tag like that, this plan better work.

According to the congressional budget office, only 12 cents of every dollar spent will actually go toward economic stimulus. Instead of a set of rules to make sure the money goes where it is supposed to, the package looks like a page from a liberal wish list sent to Santa. The bill is loaded with pork.

Whenever the government announces the plan to release a large sum of money, Congress members come running with their hands open like 2-year-olds who have just broken a pi’ntilde;ata full of Tootsie Rolls. The Congress members add clauses or “earmarks” to these stimulus packages to guarantee they get some of the money. As a result, you get a package where the politicians are investing in themselves rather than the economy.

This stimulus package has been earmarked to oblivion. The plan includes 32 brand new government programs, socialized medicine, so-called “green” jobs, $335 million for STD prevention programs, $650 million for digital TV coupons, $200 million to beautify government buildings, $600 million for brand new government cars, $24 million for groups, including ACORN, $50 million to renovate a museum and $200 million for repairs to the national mall including $21 million for sod, to name just a few items.

The Obama we are seeing now is different from the Obama we saw last year, who vowed to Tom Brokaw on Meet the Press that under his watch, “the days of pork coming out of Congress are over.”

While these pork-barrel programs may sound good to some liberal ideologues, they offer neither a good return on their investment nor the intended stimulus. In contrast, Bush’s infamous “tax cuts for the rich” directly and immediately caused the economy to grow five percent. That’s because it is the rich who create jobs and opportunities for humble college students like you and me. Instead of going into the hands of the entrepreneurs and hard workers who run our economy, the money will be filtered through the hands of clueless, greedy politicians.

Additionally, the House Tax Committee staff can’t estimate a single job that will be created. Some of the plans might put people to work on temporary government projects, but they won’t do the job of providing lasting wealth and economic growth.

Here’s the secret – Obama’s plan is not actually meant to stimulate the economy. Instead, it is meant to expand the already-bloated government, give the Democratic Party more power and use an economic crisis to force liberal ideologies down the throats of an unsuspecting America.

President Obama is not ignorant of history. Obama knows this massive spending will fail just as every other massive government spending plan has failed. If you ask me, he does not care as long as he gets his liberal policies through. It is shameful.

President Obama played the game well, and now that we elected him, he is continuing the tradition of pork, earmarks and out of control spending that got us into this mess in the first place. You want “change?” Well, get ready for “more of the same.”