Black Swamp Pub brings ‘Stouts and Chocolate’ beer tasting to encourage education over binging

‘Stouts and Chocolate’ was the theme and beer was the drink at Wednesday night’s Black Swamp Pub’s monthly beer tasting. ‘ Students and faculty could sign up for the event at the information desk in the Student Union and for $10 can indulge their senses as well as educate themselves on how to appreciate and critique their favorite beers. ‘I expect to drink a lot of good beer in good company,’ Ben Gorman, a junior history major attending his second tasting, said. As the evening progressed, tasters received three-ounce refills of dark beers from companies such as Anchor’s Port, Flying Dog and Founders Porter, served by volunteer pourers coupled with dark chocolates provided at each table. ‘It really brings out a cross section; some are professors, graduate students and students too,’ William E. Knight, assistant vice president for Planning and Accountability at the University and volunteer server for the tasting, said. The beer tastings started in 2002, as a way to promote attendance to the Black Swamp Pub and only attracted a few people, Knight said. He considers the stout and chocolate theme to be the high point of the year’s tastings. Since then, the tastings have grown to host up to 32 people every month. ‘Its got a great following,’ Michael Dunk, of the pub task force, said. ‘We’re really trying to bring the community back to the campus. It’s a good social event. People here are talking about everything from family and friends to religion.’ ‘ Next month’s theme will be crazy, unusual beers, and April will focus on beers from the West Coast, Dunk said. Rex Lowe, a professor in the biology department and a home brewer, has been attending the tastings for the past three years with various colleagues and grad advisors. ‘We’re all interested in tasting quality ales rather than just drinking a lot,’ he said. ‘I like rich malty, dark beers more than hops, and that’s what we’re focusing on tonight.’ The beer and chocolate continued as tasters filled out surveys that rated their favorite drinks. At the end of the evening, attendees had the privilege of picking the beer they enjoyed most and then received a full bottle to close the night.’ And while the beer was delicious and could probably be consumed in large quantities, Lowe reminds the public it is an educational experience. ‘I guess if people are interested in learning about ales, lagers and stouts, it’s a good place to go,’ he said. ‘It’s not a place to go and get drunk. I look at it as my continuing education.’