A teacher affects eternity

Richard Hoffman, director of the Partners in Context ‘amp; Community, died yesterday morning at 11:05 at The Toledo Hospital. He was 62.

According to a source close to the Hoffman family, Hoffman went to bed Monday night with a headache and didn’t wake up. His wife immediately called the ambulance but Hoffman never regained consciousness.

Since Wednesday, several journal entries were posted on caringbridge.com, a Web site his family is using to communicate any updates with students and friends. The entries said it was Hoffman’s wishes to not remain on life support and the family kept him on life support until yesterday because Wednesday was one of his grandchildren’s birthday.

His death came as a shock to the PCC learning community in Kohl Hall who loved him very much, said Gail Brinker, colleague and close friend of the Hoffman family.

‘He was the kindest, most dedicated person I’ve ever had the pleasure of working with,’ Brinker said. ‘He always stayed student centered.’

‘In truth, I enjoy just about everything about being an instructor at BG,’ Hoffman said in his biography on the Honors program Web page. ‘The students I work with are optimistic and strongly directed toward creating good futures for themselves and others.’

Junior Dylan Bryant said Hoffman always had a genuine interest in his student’s lives, as well as their education.

‘Just knowing he was doing more than just teaching, but educating us, always made me more inspired to try,’ he said.

PCC student Katherine Houvouras said he was one of the most caring people she had ever met.

‘Whether teaching or just being a friend he was compassionate, loving, generous, dedicated and extremely kind,’ Houvouras said. ‘He refused to let anyone fail whether it was in his classroom or at a challenge in life. He did all he could to relate his lessons to students interests, even if it meant making himself look a little foolish.’

Houvouras recalled when PCC students stopped by his house on the way to the Toledo Zoo lights to sing him a Christmas carol called ‘Phat Daddy Honky,’ a carol about a character Hoffman created at Woodward High School that he shared with his University students.

‘He not only admitted to [the character] but showed us the video … smile on his face, laughing all the while,’ Houvouras said. ‘He never gave up on anyone, and the person he was on any given day was the same person he was in the classroom. To live up to and become at least half of what Dr. Hoffman was, in and out of the classroom, would be a great honor.’

Mike Orlando, hall director of Kohl Hall, said the University will never know the depths of what Hoffman did for the quality of each student’s education.

‘Dick was the kind of faculty every student affairs professional would dream of having,’ he said. ‘Not only was his door always open with the students, it was open to collaborate with me daily.

‘Although proclaimed by many as the best teacher, his best lessons were always taught outside of the classroom,’ Orlando added. ‘He truly has been a genuine friend, humble colleague, encouraging mentor and even a loving father figure in my life. I dedicate my future collaboration with academic affairs to him.’

Vanessa Elola, graduate assistant to PCC and colleague of Hoffman said one year ago when she joined the PCC staff, she did not know Hoffman would have such an impact on her in a year’s time, and she can’t imagine the impact he had in a lifetime.

‘After teaching for 35 years in the Toledo Public Schools, we will never be able to count the number of lives Dr. Hoffman and Sue Hoffman touched,’ she said. ‘What I can tell you is that in this year alone there are 120 PCC students who have been influenced by him and in return will continue to touch the children they teach over their lifetime. His impact in this year alone goes beyond PCC, but to the Honors community, faculty and staff in the College of Education and Human Development, the Toledo Public Schools, and various campus offices.’

At 12:08 p.m. yesterday, a family member posted this journal entry on caringbridge.com, ‘We thank you for all of your wishes. We feel very loved and clearly see just how many people were touched by him. We couldn’t be prouder of what he has accomplished. We will be strong, and we look forward to sharing our cherished memories with you this weekend. As Huffy would say, ‘LIFE IS GOOD.”

Hoffman started in PCC, a learning community housed in Kohl Hall, in Fall 2007 after having taught English at Toledo’s Woodward High School for 34 years.

While at Woodward, he also served as chairperson for the English department for over 20 years. In addition to teaching, he served as a part-time instructor at the University for 30 years teaching English composition courses and some sections for the Honors Program.

His family has requested all donations in his name be directed to Woodward High School in Toledo, and the Partners in Context and Community program.

Friends will be received from 3 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Saturday at the Witzler-Shank Funeral Home, 222 E.S. Boundary St. in Perrysburg.

A Celebration of Life Service will be held on Sunday at the First Unitarian Church, 3205 Glendale Ave. in Toledo.