President visits Telefund

Student employees at the University Telefund had plenty of questions to ask President Carol Cartwright when she visited their fundraising center at Harshman Quadrangle last night.

Among other questions, they were curious about low enrollment, the tuition freeze and the new president’s celebrity status.

Dwight James, a junior and third-year employee of the University Telefund, asked Cartwright what it’s like to constantly be followed around by people and cameras on campus.

“About the celebrity status, it’s funny because on one hand, it’s a very serious job. The president symbolizes the whole institution,” Cartwright said. “Everybody is always watching, so I have to be on my best behavior at all times.”

Much like Cartwright, more than 75 students working at the Telefund also have a serious job.

So far, the students involved with the center have already raised over $650,000 in fundraisers this school year for general University needs and hope to surpass their goal of $1.2 million by May.

The center also had a huge impact on the Building Dreams campaign that ended this past December, Cartwright said during the meeting.

The idea to bring Cartwright to the center came from Kelly Anderson, program center manager of the Telefund, who attended Kent State University when Cartwright was the president of that school.

Anderson had seen the support Cartwright gave to student organizations at KSU and thought the visit would benefit the employees at the Telefund.

“The callers have to know a lot about BG for this job, so not only are they taking pride in what they do, but they are also taking pride in the University,” she said. “It’s a big deal for us to have the president come in and let the callers know how they measure up in the big picture.”

This was the first time in a number of years that a University President has paid a visit to the center, Anderson said.

“I want to build on the quality of the undergraduate experience,” Cartwright said. “That is part of what you all are doing when you make calls.”

Because raising funds for the University largely depends on support from alumni, students at the Telefund reach out to hundreds of former Falcons every night they work.

Fundraising, although a difficult task for any organization, is one that President Cartwright knows the students can handle.

“[Cartwright] offered some awesome tips on how to motivate us to talk to alumni,” James said.

The money collected through fundraising from the center goes towards improving the undergraduate experience – which can mean anything from updating classroom technology, providing more scholarships or keeping elite professors on staff.

However, a discretionary fund can also be used for current necessities of the University.

For the opportunity to join the Telefund, students can contact Kelly Anderson at 419-372-0400 or e-mail her at [email protected].