Gymnastics’ shining lights

Guy, a junior and Fillmore, a red-shirt freshman, were both introduced to gymnastics at a very early age by their mothers. While each of their mothers had a different way of teaching, they were both successful in the end as they both have very talented gymnasts in their daughters. Guy’s mother spent a lot of time teaching her how to tumble and was a great help throughout her younger years, whereas Fillmore’s mother owns a gym, so it has always been a huge aspect of her life. With their hard work and dedication to the BG gymnastics program, they love working together and both appreciate each other’s competitiveness. Even though these women are arguably the top-two on the team, one would never realize it from talking to them. ‘I hope as a team our scores keep improving,’ Fillmore said. ‘I hope we show everyone how good we can be at the Mid-American Conference championships.’ With their recent success, they are both definitely heading in the right direction. Last Sunday, in a meet against No. 16 Ohio State, Guy posted the third best all-around score in BG history with a 39.300, just three-tenths shy of the program record. ‘Bre sets the bar high for herself everyday,’ coach Kerrie Beach said. ‘Her scores are a result of her hard work and dedication to the program.’ Fillmore, who was out all last season after breaking both bones in her left forearm in warm-ups at the first meet, is incredibly happy to be back. Even with the high scores she’s posted this season, her highlight of the year is just being back out on the floor again. ‘Not competing all last year was tough, but I think it just made being able to compete this year more exciting,’ she said. ‘It was hard being out for so long because I couldn’t do what I’ve done my whole life.’ With key athletes such as Fillmore out last season, Guy’s role was huge. This season, it’s even bigger. But with the pressure she occasionally feels, she stays confident. ‘I feel like there is pressure on me to do well because I am on all four events and the team relies on me to hit each and every time I get out here,’ Guy said. ‘I have to have a lot of confidence and do what I’m supposed to do which is hit.’ Hitting is exactly what she has done. In the past several meets, her all-around score continues to improve and it seems it will only get better. In the seven meets the team has competed in this season, Guy has won the all-around three times. For Guy and Fillmore, their success would not be possible if it was not for their love of gymnastics. The training these two put into the sport is challenging, but very rewarding at the same time. ‘As a kid, I just kept learning skill after skill and the excitement that came out of that is just a great feeling,’ Fillmore said. ‘At this point, I love just being able to show people what I have worked so hard for all those years.’ As someone who has seen a lot of the top gymnasts in the country, assistant coach Craig Ballard greatly appreciates Guys’ work ethic. ‘Bre works just as hard, if not harder, than anyone in the country,’ Ballard said, ‘She wants to be really good, and that’s the big thing.’ As they continue to work hard and impress their teammates and coaches, they both have one big goal in mind. Together, Guy and Fillmore are doing their best to help their team become MAC champions. If they continue to improve like they have been, this feat is entirely possible.