BG mounts 13-point comeback at Buffalo

Falcon special teams blocked two punts that resulted in touchdowns, and BG made a 13-point comeback to beat Buffalo 30-29 last night.

Senior safety P.J. Mahone – who returned from a six-game suspension yesterday – had a hand on and recovered both blocks, while also recording a team-high 10 tackles.

The first block was recovered at the Buffalo 1-yard line, resulting in a Willie Geter touchdown run, and the second resulted in an eventual 4-yard rush for senior quarterback Tyler Sheehan.

‘One thing I can say about our players is not once all year have they ever quit,’ Clawson said. ‘They continue to play hard.’

Sheehan completed 22 of his 40 passes on the night for 313 yards and a touchdown, while managing a fourth quarter comeback drive starting with 2:59 left in the game.

‘I’m more confident in that situation than any other,’ Sheehan said. ‘I know when we play fast, we don’t let the defense set up with what they want to do.’

That drive ended with an 18-yard strike to senior receiver Freddie Barnes.

‘That’s a great quarterback and a great receiver being on the same page,’ Clawson said.

Barnes was held to one of his worst statistical outputs of the season, despite making eight catches for 122 yards and a touchdown. Both totals are below his season average.

Nonetheless, he broke the school (99) and Mid-American Conference (106) records for receptions in a season and continues to lead the nation in receptions (107), receiving yards (1,176) and receiving touchdowns (10).

While the Falcons (4-5, 3-2 MAC) got the end result they wanted, it didn’t always look so promising in the first half.

The offense was barely on the field as defense had trouble stopping Buffalo (3-6, 1-4 MAC), which held offensive possession for almost 20 of the first 30 minutes on the way to a 21-13 halftime lead.

Geter scored both first-half touchdowns for the Falcons, but the team’s rushing struggles continued, as they gained 48 yards for an average of 1.9 yards per carry.

Because BG was averaging a MAC worst 61.6 rushing yards per game, Buffalo’s defense consistently defended the pass last night, holding Sheehan to 313 passing yards, about 20 yards less than his season average.

The Bulls also won the time of possession battle 34:06 to 25:54. BG had won that battle in each of the first eight games this season.

UB also committed 10 penalties for 123 yards, costing them valuable field position several times.

Freshman Jeffvon Gill – Buffalo’s fifth-string running back – found plenty of open space throughout the game, gaining 172 yards on the ground, including a touchdown. He became the seventh individual player to run for more than 100 yards against the Falcons. ‘How many tailbacks do these guys have?’ Clawson asked.’