Racism still a problem in America

I was recently asked by someone if I could imagine a world or the United States without racism. I responded, ‘if they could imagine standing with no ground beneath their feet.’

Some may believe this analogy is a little barbaric. I beg to differ.

This country of ours was established and created with the concepts of someone being superior and someone else being inferior. Unfortunately, those concepts have resonated through time, through institutions and now have settled amongst the lives of my generation.

I am affirmed that we do not live in a post-racial society. It concerns me and others like me that some people believe we do. If this is so, people of color have a bigger problem than before. I say that because, in our past, racism was acknowledged and not dismissed as something intangible.

Today, many people, even some people of color, are convinced that racism no longer exists. This creates ignorance among all people, and if people are ignorant, they will accept anything being taught to them. This is what has happened to my generation.

We have accepted what we have been told and have not had the desire to ask the hard questions. We must have questions to understand answers. We must not say racism doesn’t exist unless we have tangible reasons to believe it.

The world we live in can only change if people start demanding it. If we stay silent, the problems and issues people of color encounter stay ignored. I am convinced the reason so many people believe racism doesn’t exist is due to a lack of aggression on the part of those trying to be heard. We have been taught to cry in silence.

In order for us to ever consider living in a world or nation without racism, there are certain ideals that need to be established and erased. We must understand racism is rooted in this nation’s foundation and must be uprooted by new morals and ideas of its law-abiding citizens.

We also must deconstruct racism in our society and in ourselves, starting with stereotypes of all people of color. Another step in the right direction is being willing to change. We must not only discuss the issue, but create change at its insignificant forms.

I was once told, ‘The only things unable to be changed are those bound by nature.’ Racism is a fear developed by man. So it can change, even if it starts with our own fear.

Respond to Ebony by commenting below or email to [email protected]