Updated Falcon logo starts transition

The University is in a transition period for the school’s falcon logo.

The athletic department began replacing the previous logo with the current one about four years ago. The new logo features a full falcon pictured in orange and brown with the letters BG. The previous logo was a falcon outline in orange.

The University has released a clothing line featuring vintage logos, but the previous outline logo was not included. University Bookstore Associate Director Yvonne Stoner said this was done because they are still in a transition period.

‘We need to transition first before going back and introducing [the previous logo] as vintage or retro,’ she said.

For now, the game plan is to focus on the new logo, said Assistant Athletic Director of Marketing Brian Delehoy.

‘You want to stay true to your new marks and build an identity,’ he said.

Stoner said some students were fond of the old logo, but student response to the new logo has been great. She also said that in the beginning of the process to change the logo, the athletic department talked to alumni to get insight, input and feedback for the idea.

‘They were very supportive of the changes,’ she said.

Delehoy said changing the logo is meant to update the look, but still stay true to the University. He said that the new falcon logo has the same outline as the previous.

‘You’ve got to stay true to the orange and brown,’ he said. ‘With colleges, it’s a natural progression over time.’

Senior Ian Kenyon said that he likes the new logo, and owns a few shirts with the logo.

‘It’s more attractive and flashy,’ he said. ‘It looks more updated.’