Notes: Sheehan to face off against old friend

Falcon quarterback Tyler Sheehan may see a familiar face on the field this weekend when BG takes on Ohio University.

That face doesn’t belong to top receiving threat Freddie Barnes or starting running back Willie Geter, though. It belongs to Bobcat backup cornerback Julian Posey.

The two were teammates at LaSalle High School in Cincinnati where they developed a friendship that has lasted, even though they play for rival teams nowadays.

‘We’re actually very good friends,’ Sheehan said. ‘I talk to him twice a week at least since we’ve been in college.’

Sheehan has had a far more successful college career than Posey, placing his name in the top 10 of many all-time record lists at the University.

Posey, a redshirt junior, fought through injuries that limited him to six games last season while recording a pair of interceptions and 54 tackles in 2007 as a freshman.

He has recorded five tackles this season, including three against Tennessee last week, and Sheehan is hoping Posey will take the field against his offense this week since he didn’t play in last season’s matchup.

‘It’s always nice to play against somebody that you grew up around,’ Sheehan said. ‘It gives you a little extra incentive for the game.’

And if the opportunity arises for Sheehan to burn Posey on a deep route, he’ll go for it, but he won’t force the issue.

‘You always say that stuff before the game, but when you’re out there, it’s not something that really crosses your mind,’ Sheehan said. ‘You’re not going to be like, ‘All right, this is a potential play where I could go over the top of him and I’m going to take the shot anyway.”

Injury front

Senior tight end Jimmy Scheidler is expected to be in the starting line-up this week after missing the last six quarters with an ankle injury.

He was at practice yesterday, participating in some of the drills, and has been making progress ever since he sustained the injury against Marshall two weeks ago.

‘If he continues to make progress, we’re optimistic we’re going to have him,’ said coach Dave Clawson.

‘That will be a big help to our offense. We certainly missed not having him Saturday.’

Clawson also said Geter is expected to be in the mix this week, after missing the second half of last weekend’s game against Boise State with a sprained toe.

‘It wasn’t too serious,’ Geter said. ‘It’s better.’

Senior wide receiver Tyrone Pronty is now listed as out for the season.

Day or night

Clawson would probably schedule a game as early as sunrise if the NCAA were to let him.

‘I’d like to play every game at 11 o’ clock in the morning,’ Clawson said. ‘When you play the night games, you go nuts the whole day.’

This season, the Falcons only play two games at noon and have seven games that start at 5:30 p.m. or later.

Geter agreed with his coach on start times.

‘I like day games because we get the job done earlier,’ Geter said.

Old timers

The 1959 Falcon football team will be in town for Homecoming this weekend. That team is celebrating the 50th anniversary of their NCAA National Title. ‘