Whipple visits USG, presses tough questions

Vice President of Student Affairs Edward Whipple visited the Undergraduate Student Government last night, challenging them to question themselves and their positions.

Whipple reinfoced what President Carol Cartwright said when she visited the meeting last week. He shared with the members what he felt makes a good student government.

‘I have worked with some fantastic student governements and some that might’ve needed some help,’ Whipple said, after sharing that he has worked with student affairs for 16 years.

He compared USG to football seasons, saying that sometimes you have winning seasons as well as losing seasons. Whipple then shared what it takes to be an effective member of USG.

‘It is critical to be a voice for the students and articulate issues, whether you agree or not,’ he said.

Whipple said it takes committment, understanding, improvement and focus on communication. He said USG members need to understand Cartwright’s priorities and focus on big issues, ensuring that they do not get hung up on the smaller issues.

He also said the USG members serve as role models.

Whipple shared the priorities of the University, which include enrollment management, focus on diversity and the financial situation.

He concluded by challenging the members of USG by questioning if they know what USG is and what its main goals are. Whipple questioned how they can engage students, improve the quality of instruction and diversity. He said that answering these questions are ‘fundamental to making a strong university.’

He also touched base on the budget controversy that was presented by Cartwright last week, saying, ‘the nonacademic side [of the University] has taken as big a hit as the academic side.’

Kiosk

The discussion about a possible kiosk was brought up again last night.

Student Welfare Committee Chair Christopher Schiazza proposed a trial run, where members of USG will stand in the Union during peak times before they actually purchase the kiosk in order to assure that it will be a wise purchase.

College of Business Sen. Nicholas North thought the idea for the trial run was worth a try and stressed that he would like to see the kiosk being ‘utilized for its purpose, and not just sit in the closet.’

College of Education and Human Development Sen. Joe Edens questioned if the kiosk was ‘100 percent necessary.’ ‘Is that really a good way to spend money?’ he said.

Schiazza shared that he felt it was a wise investment for USG because it would be professional and set USG apart from other groups on campus.

USG Budget

USG Treasurer Brian Gerker shared with the members the expenses made between Sept. 30 and Oct. 25. In that time, USG spent $1,186.53, including $701 on an order for new shirts and $150.80 for new name tags. The USG budget is completely funded by student fees.

Medieval

Former USG member Dominique Simms spoke at the meeting about the new campus organization, BGSU Medieval Society. She asked that the senators inform students about the new group that is a ‘group of energetic peoples who are fascinated with recreating the Middle Ages.’ The group will be planning and advertising this semester, and next semester the group will begin doing reenactments.

City Council

City Liaison Dan Caldwell encouraged everyone to vote in the Nov. 3 elections, saying that two University students, Jacob Redfern and Rob Emmelhainz, will be running for city council.

First Ward Councilman Redfern was also present at the meeting and said that not only does USG serve the campus, but it also has a responsibility to the city.

He said, as of right now, he is working with others to increase the current $50 penalty fee for any person who leaves their trash cans out over night, because it ‘decreases the beauty’ of Bowling Green and because it’s a hazard to pedestrians.

Shuttle Fee

Schiazza also said informational meetings to discuss the shuttle fee, which has been discussed at previous meetings, will be held tomorrow and Nov. 12 in 117 Olscamp. Voting for all students will take place Nov. 16 and 17 via a link on the University Web site. ‘