Football Notes: Barnes adds new Web site to season’s accolades

Before this season, it was said by offensive coordinator Warren Ruggiero that senior receiver Freddie Barnes was going to be famous.

‘Coach Ruggiero, when he first met my mom, the first thing he said was that he was going to make me famous, and I laughed,’ Barnes said. ‘I can never forget that because right now all this stuff is happening.’

Barnes leads the nation in receptions (75) and receiving yards (722), appeared on ESPN yesterday and now has his own Web site courtesy of the athletic department.

At www.freddiebarnes.com, fans can find statistics, photos and videos of Barnes. His mom couldn’t be happier that Ruggiero came through on his word.

‘They asked me if I wanted it, and I was like ‘Of course, why not?” Barnes said. ‘I said ‘It’s cool. I have to tell my mom.’ I sent her the link and she’s been happy and can’t stop smiling.’

But the origin of the idea for a site is in limbo.

Coach Dave Clawson asked assistant director of athletic communications Dave Meyer who’s idea the Web site really was. While Meyer said it was his, Clawson had a different idea.

‘It was completely, 100 percent my idea,’ Clawson joked.

Regardless of whose idea it was, quarterback Tyler Sheehan wants to make sure the site stays relevant all season long.

‘I’ll let Freddie handle that and take care of all the Web site stuff,’ Sheehan said. ‘I’ll make sure I keep giving him the ball so he can stay up on that.’

Mahone reinstated

Senior safety P.J. Mahone was reinstated to practice Tuesday, Clawson said yesterday.

Mahone ‘- who was suspended indefinitely Sept. 15 ‘- is practicing with the scout team and may return to the field next month if he continues to meet Clawson’s standards.

‘We’re hoping it works out, but ultimately that will be up to P.J.,’ Clawson said.

Sophomore Keith Morgan has filled in for Mahone since the suspension, recording 41 tackles, one fumble recovery and one interception this season.

Mahone had recorded 21 tackles in two games before the suspension.

Phillips safe

Freshman kicker Jerry Phillips has not lost his starting job.

After battling some minor injuries last week, Phillips was given the green light to take the first kick, but he was also on a tight leash.

‘I watched him pre-game, and he said he felt healthy but I saw he was kicking the ball low,’ Clawson said. ‘If we had an issue with the first kick, we were going to make the change.’

His first kick was low, blocked and turned into an 82-yard touchdown for Kent State. From then on, senior walk-on Matthew Norsic manned the kicking duties, making a field goal and three PATs.

And while Phillips has struggled at times this season, the starting job is still his to lose.

‘I don’t want him going out there thinking it’s one bad kick and he’s getting a quick hook,’ Clawson said.

Same boat

The Falcons and the Cardinals have both come out on the wrong end of several close games this season.

Prior to their one-point win Saturday, the Falcons lost three of four games by seven points each. For Ball State, five of their six losses have come by 10 or fewer points.’