Notes: Falcons turn to Norsic to remedy kicks

Senior Matt Norsic was the starting place-kicker for the Falcons Saturday, replacing freshman Jerry Phillips, who had been struggling and battling minor injuries of late.

Norsic – a former walk-on – made a 40-yard field goal at the end of the second quarter but missed on a 26-yard try in the first quarter in a 24-10 loss to Central Michigan.

BG coach Dave Clawson said the change at starter was the result of a positional battle and had nothing to with injuries.

‘This week in practice, Matt was clearly kicking more consistently and better than Jerry,’ Clawson said. ‘The plan was to go with Jerry and then Tuesday Matt out-kicked him, Wednesday he out-kicked him [and] Thursday he out-kicked him.

‘If you promote competition in your program, you can’t have a guy out-kick somebody every day and then not give him an opportunity.’

Norsic was also given an opportunity to play in a game earlier this season after an injury prevented Phillips from kicking field goals against Kent State. On that day, Norsic connected on a 21-yard field goal and three PATs.

Phillips has been in charge of every BG kickoff this season though; there have been problems with him getting the ball high on field goal tries, which is what forced Clawson to make that change.

Even before the injury, Phillips had been inconsistent, making just 7-of-11 field goals before being lifted at Kent State.

Fells

Linebacker Eugene Fells does not start for the Falcons, but he had one of the best defensive stat-lines for BG Saturday.

The junior was second on the team in tackles with 10 and also recorded a pass breakup and a sack for a 9-yard loss.

Fells has 27 tackles on the season, 3.5 of which have gone for a loss.

Weekly dose of Barnes

Senior wide receiver extended his nation-leading marks in receptions, receiving yards and receiving touchdowns Saturday.

After a 14-reception, 172-yard performance, Barnes pushed his nation-leading marks to 99 and 1,054 while breaking a three-way tie atop the nation by grabbing a touchdown.

In addition, Barnes also broke Charles Sharon’s school record for career receptions. Barnes needed six to break Sharon’s record of 232 and now has 241.

He is still on pace (149) to break to break Manny Hazard’s 1989 NCAA record of 142 receptions in a season.

MAC stat of the week

Ball State and Eastern Michigan went into Saturday’s game a combined 0-13, and the Cardinal passing attack was just about as ugly.

Ball State was without their starting quarterback Kelly Page after he was injured against BG last week, leaving backup Tanner Justice to start.

He was just 2-for-10 passing for 1 yard while Ball State used 463 rushing yards to secure the 29-27 win.’