On-campus students use cell phones instead of landlines

Rebeling against University guidelines, some on-campus students have not set up a working landline in their rooms, relying on cell phones for all communication.

All students residing in campus housing, such as residence halls, Greek housing and University apartments, are required by Residence Life to have a working telephone hooked up to the landline in their room.

The number of those who actually hook up their landlines, however, is ‘not a lot,’ said Sarah Waters, senior associate director of Residence Life.

‘I think a lot of students think they don’t need one because they have their cell phones,’ Waters said.

Freshman Charity Seville said using a cell phone is just more convenient.

‘I don’t even use one at home,’ she said. ‘Why would I use it [here]?’

Landline phones have a convenience factor as well, Waters said. Landline phones are a piece of technology available to make sure students have access to a phone if their cell phone went out due to dead battery or cell phone tower power outages.

Landline availability is also a matter of safety. In the event of an emergency, by dialing 911 from a cell phone, students are connected to the Sheriff’s office and then transferred to campus police; dialing 911 from a landline phone on campus calls the police directly.

Sophomore Amanda Losch said she feels safer setting up a landline.

‘I would say it does [make me feel safer] because they don’t have our cell numbers, so our room can be reached,’ she said.

For students who do not utilize their landline, Alert BG is a free service students can register with through their MyBGSU account to receive text messages about events happening on campus, such as school closings and potentially dangerous situations.

The Alert BG system is ‘the main piece [of technology] that the University has invested in to try to get quick responses out to students in the event that something was happening,’ Waters said.

Sophomore Matt Woodrum said he isn’t registered for the Alert BG system but ‘probably should be because they let you know if class is cancelled.’

He said he only knows a handful of students who have landlines installed in their rooms, and isn’t too worried about not having that connection.

‘I think I’m pretty safe if anything ever did happen,’ Woodrum said. ‘I’d always have my cell phone.’

Waters encourages students to get the landline, but realizes the technology is a bit outdated. She said students should at least update their residence hall emergency contact cards with their cell phone numbers.

Losch said buying a landline phone is so inexpensive, students really should look into the option.

‘It’s easy to get; it’s easy to install. I think, ‘Why not have one?” Losch said. ‘There’s no reason not to if you’re only investing $10 for extra safety.”