A year later, new fraternity looks to the future

After years of absence from the University, Tau Kappa Epsilon returned in 2008, and is looking to make its mark here at BGSU.

TKE, founded by a group of World War II veterans in 1956, was brought back to campus by a group of 12-15 students.

‘The main thing that made me want to do this is that I got to start from scratch,’ said Carl Fowler, philanthropy and community chairman.

Chartered in 1958, TKE remained on campus until 1996 when they were forced to close due to membership decline and social problems. Now the fraternity, which is still a colony, has 26 members, including four pledges.

TKE, known as the Tekes, has two years to become a full chapter. To do this, the fraternity must reach a certain number of members and lay a foundation for the future. They do not currently have a house but are hoping to get one in the future.

TKE President Steve Ording explained why now is a good time to join.

‘TKE is different because it is a colony,’ he said. ‘You have an opportunity to make an immediate impact.’

Pledges at TKE have privileges that they may not find at other fraternities.

‘All [26 members] know each other and are closer than what you find at most fraternities,’ Fowler said.

‘TKE is different because when we accept pledges into our fraternity, they become no different than any other member,’ Ording added. ‘We want them to know exactly what daily life is as a full-fledged Teke. Except for having voting rights, our pledges are just as active as any other member in the fraternity, and their opinion is valued just as much, if not more than the regular members’.’

In order to attract new pledges, TKE holds info nights every Wednesday. They also hold social events to attract people. The goal is to get to know people.

‘We try not to get involved in rushing at parties,’ Ording said. ‘You’re not going to get to know a guy just by drinking with him.’

Rush Chairman Mike McHugh said part of his job is to come up with new events to attract people.

‘We’re constantly trying to think of new and unique events,’ he said. ‘We try to think of stuff nobody else has done.’

TKE’s next event will be a water dodgeball fight. The event is in collaboration with Kappa Alpha Order. It will take place on Oct. 4 in fraternity row. All proceeds will go to the Alzheimer’s Association and Muscular Dystrophy.’