Roger’s night

It was a career evening for Roger Williams in the Falcons season opener at Doyt Perry Stadium last night.

For BG’s first kickoff return, the speedy junior broke the school record for kickoff return yards with his 17-yard return.

The senior needed nine to break the record of 1,222 yards, previously held by Reggie Thornton ‘- who played for the Falcons from 1986-1989.

Williams came into the contest with 1,214 yards and finished the day with three returns for 61 yards, leaving Thornton safely in his dust.

That same return also gave Williams sole possession of second place on the University’s all-time kickoff returns list with 56.

Thornton also holds that record with 65, but if Williams sees consistent action at the return position this season, he will most likely break that record as well. And if he continues his studies on opposing special teams and stays healthy, it’s almost a sure thing.

‘I study every team’s kickoffs so I know where the holes are,’ Williams said.

Williams had limited playing time last season as he struggled with injuries, returning just nine kicks on the season for 129 yards. The year before, he racked up a single-season record of return 954 yards.

Now back in the swings of things on kickoffs, Williams hopes to find the same success he had as a sophomore.

‘I knew it was a redemption year for me,’ Williams said. ‘It’s a real big deal.’

He also is a first-year starter at cornerback, taking Kenny Lewis’ place. And on the first play of the fourth quarter, he recorded his first career interception.

‘I was studying the offense play by play all night long so I knew they were going to do some kind of smash route or something so I just sat there waiting on it,’ Williams said.

He was only able to return it 13 yards, but it did set up Jerry Phillips’ first career field goal. Fellow cornerback Adrien Spencer added an interception return for a touchdown with 2:14 left in the game.

Coach Dave Clawson said Williams’ and Spencer’s ability to tighten up on the offense in the second half allowed the interception to happen.

‘At times, I thought they played a little bit soft and tentative early, but as the game wore on, they felt a lot more confident,’ Clawson said. ‘They started playing a little tighter.’

It was a difference-maker as Troy marched down the field in 1:56 to open the game and was slowed every drive after that until Trojan quarterback Levi Brown was seemingly throwing away more passes than he was completing as the game wound down.

And while Williams has seen plenty of action on the field in his career, some of that first drive may have come from a few butterflies in his stomach.

‘The first couple series, I was definitely nervous,’ Williams said.