Monthly meetings installed for Graduate Women’s Caucus

The Graduate Women’s Caucus, was originally created at the University in the 1970s, and recently resurfaced on campus last fall. This year the GWC is hosting a roundtable discussion series titled ‘Women in Academia.’

‘The general purpose of having this new series available is so women can discuss issues that are unique to gender dynamics with peers and faculty in a comfortable environment,’ said doctoral student and teaching associate Manda Hicks.

The Executive Committee Panel of the GWC decided to create this monthly series, leaving the topics of discussion, including the group’s interests or timely issues, up to the attendees.

She said students and faculty are constantly being faced with issues in the classroom. These meetings provide a forum for this group so there is a place to articulate important issues such as how young teachers can manage a class with authority when their students are only a couple years younger than they are, to issues like how to manage a relationship with family, spouses, partners, work, and school effectively.

‘The Women’s Center is a valuable asset to BGSU and I would suggest that graduate students, or those considering graduate school use its resources.’ Hicks said.

Hicks also said social support is an effective way for students and faculty to channel their emotions towards discussions within group sessions and be able to relieve stress and feel more confident about themselves in this comforting atmosphere.

‘I was searching for a woman’s group but wasn’t sure what was available,’ second year masters student Stacey Frey said. ‘I found out about GWC’s ‘Women in Academia’ series a few weeks ago at Campus Fest, and after having gone to the first meeting I decided to come back for the second one because the women faculty involved in it have already experienced what I am going through right now, and I feel I should take advantage of the advice they have for me.’

The GWC is committed to providing opportunities for graduate students to channel their energy and resources into promoting awareness of women’s issues on campus and in the community.

‘This opportunity is beneficial to me because it provides a mentorship between the faculty and myself, so there’s always someone to talk to about insecurities that I have for issues that I do not feel comfortable sharing with other cohorts about,’ Frey said.

This new series is directed towards women in the undergraduate program at the University, undergraduates considering going for their masters, and female faculty, however it is not exclusive.

‘The focus will always be on women, but men are encouraged to participate, as long as they can contribute without dominating or inhibiting women from their professional development,’ President of GWC, Megan Adams said.

The ‘Women in Academia’ series will have its next meeting on October 21st in 107 Hanna Hall and the topic of discussion will be ‘online feminist pedagogies’, food and beverage will be provided.