Van De Walle ready to face challenge of coaching young team

In every circumstance, volleyball coach Denise Van De Walle wants her players to be the aggressors.

But after losing three talented seniors – and having a team where eight of the 14 players have one year or less of collegiate experience – it could be a challenge.

Van De Walle admits its going to be tough, but plans to go about it the same as any year.

‘Every year we want to be in the hunt for a championship,’ she told bgsufalcons.com. ‘This year will be no different. We know we have our work cut out for us, but to be a part of the elite eight that makes it to the SeaGate Center is a fun place to be. It’s almost like playing at home.’

The Falcons, who have an impressive 72-11 overall record over the past three seasons (37-11 Mid-American Conference), are looking to build on three consecutive 20-win seasons this year with 10 returning and four new players.

Van De Walle, who is entering her 27th season as the coach, knows exactly how to handle the situation.

‘We have to get the returning players and young players involved at a high level right away,’ she said. ‘It will be challenging, but we need to work really hard to get people to step up.’

While the team is young, there is still a lot of talent returning. Senior Corey Domek, who was a second team all-conference player a year ago, is returning as the most decorated player on the roster. Seniors Kaitlin Jackson and Shari Luther will be looked at as leaders, too.

Junior Sam Fish, a two-year starter, returns to the floor after averaging 10.13 assists and 2.06 digs per set with 47 blocks. Her 1,347 assists in 2008 were the second highest total in program history and she had 17 matches with at least 40 assists.

But with the talent the Falcons have, it is still going to be a challenge.

‘It’s going to be very tough,’ Van De Walle said of the schedule. ‘But it is a nice mix of schools to prepare us for the MAC Tournament.’

In order to get back to the MAC Tournament, the team will need to make it through their non-conference schedule which has quality teams such as Ohio State, Xavier, New Orleans, Texas Tech and Northern Iowa.

And to top off their tough non-conference schedule, MAC teams Western Michigan and Miami are returning their whole teams and Ohio will be tough, too.

‘All three of those teams made it to the NCAA tournament last year,’ Van De Walle said. ‘I don’t see anyone going undefeated like in some years past. Every team is going to be good this year.’

But after coaching for 26 years, it’s the challenge that Van De Walle loves the most.

‘The most fun part of coaching is seeing what you can do,’ she said. ‘It’s very challenging, but a lot of fun. People will underestimate us this season.’

The Falcons’ schedule beings Aug. 28 when they travel to Moon Township, Penn., for the Duquesne/Robert Morris Invitational.

This story originally ran in Saturday’s issue of The BG News.