Judge Clawson on reworking Falcon defense, not last year

So, many Tennessee fans are happy that Dave Clawson is no longer their offensive coordinator.

And after the debacle that was his only season at a BCS school, I suppose it’s hard not to blame them.

‘Could Bowling Green score on our third team defense?’ one fan asked on a University of Tennessee fan forum in early August.

What would I say to that? ‘Of course they could. In fact, I bet this team could score on Tennessee’s first team defense at Neyland Stadium.’

But in the grand scheme of things, that one season at Tennessee doesn’t even matter. A lot of the offensive problems at UT were attributed to fired coach Phillip Fulmer. There’s a reason why Clawson is coaching a Division I football team and Fulmer is working at CBS: Clawson has the successful track record.

In nine seasons as head coach of Richmond and Fordham, Clawson compiled a 58-49 record, turned both programs from bottom-feeders to contenders and won two Division I-A Coach of the Year awards.

It’s intriguing to think what he can do with a team that’s not a bottom-feeder, especially a team that seemed to be a new coach away from taking the next step last season.

But while the Falcons aren’t a bottom-feeder, Clawson does have a challenge in front of him: revamping a defense stricken with inexperience. Revamping Tennessee’s offense didn’t work out too well, but he’s made it very clear he is coaching his players to be champions. Combine that with some strong senior leadership, and everything should turn out just fine.

Nonetheless, the facts remain. The first-team was gutted.’

Returning only three starters – safeties P.J. Mahone and Jahmal Brown and linebacker Jerett Sanderson – from a defense that was fourth in the Mid-American Conference after allowing just 23.2 points per game, no one would argue if Clawson cited the defense as an area of concern. Many probably would even give him a pass if the defense prevents the team from contending.

But Clawson is confident that pass won’t be necessary as he fully expects the defense to grind out every play and make their inexperience an afterthought.

‘I think we have enough talent on defense that we can be certainly a solid defense,’ Clawson said.

But with four starting defensive linemen with just two starts on their collective resume, there is cause for concern.

Last season, the Falcons allowed 162.6 rushing yards per game and facing many talented running backs and scrambling quarterbacks this season, teams are likely to push Clawson’s envelope when it comes to running the ball.

And if those opposing coaches seal the deal, those same Tennessee fans will be laughing all the way to the bank – which is fine and dandy with Clawson. He won’t be reading any of it.

In fact, he appreciated and learned from that season. I asked him to name one thing he can do at BG that will make everyone forget about the Tennessee year, and here is what he had to say:

‘I learned a lot at Tennessee and despite the season we had, I had a great experience in a lot of ways. I don’t let last year affect the way I coach this year. I’m excited to be at Bowling Green, and I’m excited to win as many games as I can here.’

That’s the spirit, coach. And let me just say it for you, if you get this team to contend for the MAC title or even overhaul it enough that the Falcons have a near losing season but played competitively week in and week out, people should forget about that Tennessee mess.

Just don’t make a second one.’