Spring EXPO Job Fair coming to the University

The Spring EXPO 2009 Job Fair is coming up, but the time to start preparing is now.

Over 80 companies will be represented at the University on February 10, all looking for qualified students to fill openings within their companies.

Students should do their research and come prepared, said Susan Gladieux, recruiting manager at the Career Center

“They should be confident. Once they do the research, they’ll know which ones [companies] that they’re interested in and they’ll know what their opportunities are,” Gladieux said. “What you put in is what you’ll take out.”

Gladieux recommends students research the companies through their WorkNet account through MyBGSU, to find which companies they want to look at once they get to the job fair. Students should review the supplement that will be provided around campus, to help students get everything in order before attending the job fair.

The EXPO is open to all majors and all classes, offering everything from part-time positions to internships to full-time post-graduate jobs.

Students should make sure they present themselves well by wearing professional attire.

Corey Becker graduated this past May with a degree in Communications. He knows the importance of doing the research and being prepared.

“The dress for the job fair is business professional. Make sure your shirt and pants are ironed, don’t look like you just rolled out of bed,” Becker said. “As far as interviewing goes, I did research on the companies I was interested in, that way I would sound intelligent about the position.”

Students who attend the job fair as freshmen and sophomores will have an advantage by the time they are seniors looking for post-graduate positions.

Chris Rivas, a BGSU alumnus with a degree in International Business, gained that advantage during his college years. He attended every job fair held at BGSU during his time at the University.

By the time Rivas was a senior, he was well rounded in the job fair experience.

“It makes you more comfortable talking to professionals about yourself, which most college students get zero practice doing in the normal day to day college life,” Rivas said.