Falcon hockey swept by Ohio State

The Falcons started 2009 on the wrong foot as they were swept away by in-state rival Ohio State this past weekend.

In a weekend where a combined 20 goals were scored, the Falcons had their best offensive outing of the season Friday night scoring five goals. However they also allowed eight goals.

“It was a game that when either team was doing what they do well good things happened,” said coach Scott Paluch. “When they were in transition they were really good.”

In the 8-5 loss Friday, BG continued to get output from it’s top line of Brandon Svendson, Dan Sexton and David Solway as they combined for seven points, and freshmen defenseman Nick Bailen had his first two-goal collegiate game.

Friday also was the season debut for sophomore goalie Nick Eno who missed the entire first half of the season with a high ankle sprain. Eno entered the contest at the 11:14 mark of the second period after starter Jimmy Spratt allowed his sixth goal on 22 shots.

“It’s good to see Eno come back and have a good performance his first time out,” Bailen said of Eno’s comeback. “I’d say it kind of us jumped us up a little bit because you don’t want to let him get shelled his first game back.”

Eno, a CCHA All-rookie team selection last season, turned away 10 of 11 shots and made one marquee save right away with his left pad on a 2-on-0 breakaway.

The next night, Eno made his first start of the season in a 4-3 overtime loss. Eno turned away 21 of 25 shots and Ohio State coach John Markel felt the sophomore was the difference from Friday’s offensive outburst.

“You saw the difference of the way they play with him,” Markel said. “He’s very solid and as he gets in better and better shape he’ll get right back in to form like he was tonight.”

Saturday almost didn’t head to overtime as Dan Sexton tied the game at three with just over a minute remaining in regulation. Sexton’s wrist shot from the far sideboards took a fortuitous bounce off a Buckeye defender and into the net.

In the overtime session, Ohio State dominated the Falcons hitting the cross bar and keeping the puck in the Falcon zone until Kyle Reed eventually scored the game winner 2:44 into the extra session.

The losses ended the Falcons brief two game winning streak after they swept Clarkson in late December.

In a weekend which nine Falcons recorded at least one point, they went a combined 2-13 on the power play despite getting good chances in both games. BG also picked up a shorthanded goal in each game.

Prior to the weekend series the Falcons lost their third player this season, Dean Petiot who left for undisclosed reasons joins former captain Tim Maxwell and Jacob Cepis on the list of former players.

For news, notes and opinions on all BG sports, check out www.bgnewssports.com.

Contact sports reporter Sean Shapiro at [email protected].