Students learn new experiences, gain confidence in study abroad program

Although many University students have decided to stay local this summer, there are 188 who have set their sights abroad.

According to Anne Saviers, coordinator of education abroad, there are 188 students studying abroad this summer. Although students can study abroad in the fall and spring semesters, the summer is an equally appropriate time to experience life abroad. This summer, students are spending time in Austria, France, Greece, Italy, the Semester at Sea program and countless more. Saviers said these education abroad programs allow students to gain school credit, undertake an internship, do volunteer work, and most importantly, gain new experiences.

‘There are so many opportunities now for whatever a student wants to do,’ Saviers added.

Senior Marissa Sayre said the study abroad options offered had an influence on her decision to enroll at the University.

‘I transferred to BG as a sophomore in part because of their French program and study abroad program to France and Burkina Faso,’ Sayre, an international business and French major said. Sayre has taken advantage of the study abroad opportunities the University offers by spending time in Tours, France as well as Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso.

Sayre said she noticed positive changes in her personality and self confidence when she returned from studying abroad.

‘I learned more of myself and what I wanted from life in those four months than I had in several of the preceding years,’ she said. Sayre also noticed the way she communicates with people became stronger as well, which is vital to her role as president of the International Business Association.

‘I find it easier to communicate now,’ she said, ‘I’m more sensitive to the things that I’m saying and how they could be perceived by different people.’

This is a common element in students who study abroad, Saviers said.

‘When you go to a new country, you no longer have your immediate support systems with you,’ she said. ‘This fosters independence and strengthens the way you communicate with other people.’

Saviers said the confidence students gain from studying abroad is very visible at the information sessions held by the Center for International Programs.

‘The students returning from a program have an air about them that is full of maturity and confidence,’ Savers said. ‘I see it and know it is part of watching a person become educated.’

The financial aspect of an education abroad program can seem overwhelming, but it does not have to be.

‘I encourage students who say they can’t afford it to start planning early,’ Saviers said. ‘You may just find out that you can afford it.’

Some programs allow a student to pay BGSU tuition while being abroad. According to Saviers, education abroad experiences are an investment in a student’s education.

‘The pay back is hard to measure,’ she added. ‘But students who study abroad can be better prepared for life in general if they’ve had that experience.’

It is never too early to start thinking about an education abroad program.

Saviers recommends students start planning one year to 18 months in advance. According to Saviers, starting early can help students get into the program they want and figure out important details.

This summer is a great time to start thinking about education abroad opportunities. Freshmen are encouraged to think about studying abroad, and the Center for International Programs will be at Orientation and Registration with information tables about the education abroad opportunities offered by the University.