Standoff with city resident ends safely

After a nearly two-hour standoff with police, a Bowling Green resident was charged with inducing panic.

The standoff started Wednesday at about 4:45 p.m. when a neighbor of 42-year-old Tracy Crouch called to report Crouch acting in a suspicious manner, said Bowling Green Police Lieutenant Tony Hetrick.

‘His neighbors noticed him acting odd,’ Hetrick said.

BGPD officer Ryan Tackett responded to the neighbor’s call and went to Crouch’s residence on Arlington Court. Tackett never actually spoke to Crouch, but did hear what sounded like a shotgun being loaded coming from inside Crouch’s garage.

‘I went to the front door and rang the door bell and received no answer but the dogs started barking’hellip;I continued to ring the door bell several more times, and the dogs continued to bark, but no one answered the door,’ Tackett wrote in a police report. ‘I then heard a male voice yell to my right (inside the house), and then heard the sound of a shotgun rack. I ran to the rear of my vehicle and radioed to dispatch.’

After Tackett’s call to dispatch, several more police units were called to the scene. Hetrick said officers tried contacting Crouch multiple times, both by landline phones and cell phones, but no attempts were successful.

Then officers decided to try a ‘throw-phone,’ which is when they found Crouch lying on the floor of his garage.

‘In the process of getting a phone to the residence we discovered he was passed out in the garage,’ Hetrick said.

Crouch was taken to Wood County Hospital for treatment, but Hetrick said on his release Crouch will be immediately taken to jail.

Crouch was charged with inducing panic, which is a 5th degree felony, Hetrick said. The official sentence will be up to a judge, but because a gun was involved Crouch could serve up to three years in jail.

While no one actually spoke directly with Crouch during the incident, Hetrick said the most probable cause was domestic issues. He said Crouch’s wife moved out at the end of May, which sparked some trouble at the residence.

‘He has been dealing with some substance abuse issues and things like that,’ Hetrick said.

TIMELINE OF EVENTS (taken from police report of BGPD officer Mark McDonough)


4:45 p.m. – Crouch’s neighbor calls to report Crouch is acting in an ‘irrational and unusual manner.’

5:05 p.m. – Police set up a command post at the intersection of Pearl and Martindale in Bowling Green.

5:35 p.m. – Residences across the street and behind and adjacent to Crouch’s residence are evacuated. Wood County Sheriff Mark Wasylyshyn and members of the Special Response Team arrive on the scene.

5:55 p.m. – Crisis negotiators arrive and attempt to make contact with Crouch via cell phone and landline phone. No attempts are successful.

6:16 p.m. – Officers initiate emergency shutoff of Crouch’s cell and home phones.

6:45 p.m. – A squad of Special Response Team members are assembled and deployed to take a ‘throw phone’ to Crouch’s residence. SRT members approach the residence and observe a Crouch lying unconscious on the floor.

6:47 p.m. – Crouch is transported to Wood County Hospital.’