Notes: Sexton makes NHL debut with Ducks

Just as the BG hockey team was battling with Lake Superior in the second period of Friday’s game, former Falcon Dan Sexton was making his NHL debut.

Sexton, who finished his BG career with 24 goals and 36 assists from 2007-09, got called up from the Manitoba Moose of the American Hockey League to the Anaheim Ducks.

Sexton played 13 minutes in the Ducks’ 5-4 shootout loss at Minnesota, recording no shots on net.

He was, however, on the ice for Bobby Ryan’s goal midway through the third period.

Sexton filled in for right wing Teemu Selanne, who is expected to miss four to six weeks after suffering a fractured bone in his left hand in the Ducks’ 3-1 loss at Dallas Thursday night.

It’s not certain how long Sexton will be in the lineup for the Ducks this season, but BG coach Dennis Williams couldn’t be happier to see a player he coached last year as an assistant make it to the NHL.

‘I’m really excited for Dan,’ Williams said. ‘He’s a kid who worked hard here. He was a tremendous player to coach and I don’t think it could have happened to a better person.’

Milestone

On Friday, the BG hockey team suited up for its 1,000th game in the Central Collegiate Hockey Association.

The Falcons were a charter member of the CCHA when it was created in 1971.

Spratt

Former BG goalie Jimmy Spratt was signed as emergency backup goalie for the Toledo Walleye on Friday.

He did not play in a 5-4 Walleye win against Kalamazoo, but was released after Alec Richards was recalled to the team.

Early deficits

The Falcons spotted Lake Superior two first period goals Friday, with their comeback bids falling short in a 2-1 loss.

Spotting teams multiple goals early in games has been a problem for BG so far this season, ultimately putting them in a difficult position to win games.

‘[Spotting teams two or three goals] is something that we as a team have to get out of,’ Williams said. ‘No matter who we’re playing in our league, every team is very good. Anybody who gets spotted two goals, that’s pretty tough to always climb back out of.’

Let’s get physical

With 21 seconds left in the third period of the Falcons’ 5-2 loss to the Lakers on Saturday, BG freshman Robert Shea charged into goalie Pat Inglis and then punched a Laker – starting a brawl behind the net.

Nine players headed to the penalty box for roughing after the whistle, including four Falcons.

Wade Finegan, Cameron Sinclair, Ian Ruel and Brennan Vargas were all penalized, with Shea getting a game-disqualification for fighting.

As a result of his disqualification, Shea will miss Friday’s home game against Michigan State.’