Hanna hall to house business programs

The business college will soon move to a renovated Hanna Hall.

The College of Business Administration at the University will soon find a new home in the Robert W. and Patricia A. Maurer Center currently known as Hanna Hall.

The board recently approved the project for the building, and will include an addition and remodeling.

“It will basically be gutted,” Chief Marketing and Communications Officer David Kielmeyer said, “similar to University Hall now.”

The College of Business Administration received $10.8 million in private gifts to begin funding the project which will cost about $49 million.

The project is expected to be completed in June 2020.

The building will include high-concept and high-tech learning facilities, and will be equipped with amenities necessary for a world-class business school.

The private gifts from the project came from alumni, University trustees and University Foundation Board members.

Robert and Patricia Maurer of Bowling Green contributed a $5 million leadership gift.

The couple attended the University. Robert Maurer was a graduate in accounting in 1965, and they’ve been long-time supporters of the University.

Eight additional spaces in the building have been approved to be named in recognition of significant support from other alumni families.

Gifts of $2 million for the renovation of the building are coming from Paul and Margo Hooker as well as from Peggy Schmeltz, in honor of her late husband, William F. Schmeltz, a former dean of the college and faculty member.

Michael and Mary Lee McGranaghan are giving another $1 million.

The gifts represent the latest in a long history of support from the three families.  

Members of the Board of Trustees and the Foundation Board are giving an additional $800,000 for the project.

Classrooms, public spaces, lounges, offices and other spaces within the building will be named in honor of the donors.

Some of the named spaces include: William F. and Peggy L. Schmeltz Atrium, the Sister Mary Noreen Gray, R.S.M. Student Services Hub (on behalf of the Hookers), the Michael R. and Mary Lee McGranaghan Dean’s Suite, the Daniel R. and Laura C. Keller Lounge, the David and Shirley Levey Classroom, the David and Lisa M. O’Brien Dean’s Conference Room, the Bruce E. and Katherine M. Nyberg Conference Room and the R. Max Williamson Conference Room.

The recent approval authorized the first $5.7 million of the project.

Kielmyer said when looking at all the options of where to move the College of Business Administration, the remodeling and addition to Hanna Hall seemed like the best fit.